1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"J" pickups discussion and comparisons - PART II

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by grygrx, Oct 21, 2013.

1. bdplaid

bdplaid Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Good advice. I put these in and discovered I don't like the vintage sound. I finally found the '74s and they scratch my itch.

2. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan

What would you say are the best noiseless J pickups out there?

What are some favourite noiseless J pickups?

(Don't need any or want any, just curious. I have a set of noiseless Aguilars in my fretless Jazz that I really really like)

3. Pete Greaves

Pete Greaves

May 1, 2014
    I have Dimarzio Ultras in a few and they are rock solid, very classic tone, sound great. I have a set of Sadowskys in one and honestly can't tell them apart from the Dimarzio's (I suspect the Sadowsky magic is the preamp). I love the Fender Super 55s, pity they don't make them any more. Hands down my favorite right now is the Bartolini B-AXis, but definitely not classic, full, loud, tons of presence.

TonyP- likes this.
  4. Fundamental and seminal post on J bass pickups ... thanks :thumbsup:

Pbassmanca and RBJ11 like this.
  5. Would like to install a pair of Klein Epic 62 somewhere but I checked their price and their are more expensive than Parma ham ... mmhh ...

Pbassmanca and RBJ11 like this.
  6. Pbassmanca, have actually bought and install the Klein 62?
    If so, how do you like them?

Pbassmanca likes this.
  7. Good question ... I like my CS60's but I consider them being a little bit too quiet ... I mean, not growly enough, certainly not as growly as what we can hear in the Fender commercial video on YouTube with the Am. Std. played by Mel Brown which link I have attached herewith:

Is anybody getting such a growly sound using an Am. Std. jazz bass with CS60s pickups?

8. RBJ11

RBJ11 The Rallies, Creme Tangerine - "Chart Gun" 4 hire. Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left

Ahhhh - but SO worth it

;)

9. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca Never spit through an open doorway... Supporting Member

You know what, I have not bought a set yet as it's not in the budget at the moment. Unfortunately a set of Klein 62's is $240 US which with exchange into CAN dollars plus shipping, and duty, comes in between 350 - 400 dollars. I would really like to order a set within the next 6 months , so hopefully business is good and the money will be in the budget!

10. UmamiBass

UmamiBass Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2014
    Columbus, OH
    Has anyone tried the EMG JV52 sets? I'm interested to check these out as EMG doesn't make many passive pickups. I'm also considering Curtis Novak noise cancelling pickups for an active jazz bass project.

crucislancer likes this.
  11. Pbassmanca

I'm really looking for Jazz Bass pickups that have a good balance of nice useful lows and growly mids with a healthy bit of "wood" and "openness" in the tone. I can happily do without a lot of high end and sizzling treble, in fact, I would be happy if the pickups have a more moderate treble range even with the tone pot fully open. What say those of you with experience with various jazz bass pickups?

RBJ11 likes this.
  12. RBJ11

RBJ11 The Rallies, Creme Tangerine - "Chart Gun" 4 hire. Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Stage Left
    Klein Epic 62 Jazz or Nordys of any single coil variety

Pbassmanca and Pantone 333 like this.
  13. Pbassmanca

I would love to hear some good, clean, high quality recordings of Klein bass pickups of any variety, but I am yet to find even one on the interwebs. I plan on fixing this very soon.......

14. Pbassmanca

Mel is a great player, but God, that wrist angle looks precarious.......

15. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups
    It sounds like your describing Dimazio Model J.
    They pair nicely with that Norstrand Pre

Pbassmanca likes this.
  16. Pbassmanca

I've never really considered the DiMarzio's and I'm looking for a strictly passive setup, but maybe they're worth checking out. :thumbsup:

TonyP- likes this.
  17. Yeah.. not really recommended as a posture ... however my Am. Std. doesn't sound like the instrument in his commercial :bawl:

Pbassmanca likes this.
  18. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    Pacifica CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Both hands! -my technique/positioning isn't 'textbook' but closer to it than that! Glad to see a respected player with less than 'ideal' form - makes me feel better about mine. I'm actually not that sensitive about 'form' - there are plenty of famous players (guitar and bass) with more 'creative' approaches...

Pbassmanca likes this.
  19. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups
    They are aggressive but yet still sound Jazz like...The top end is there but not sizzily at all, a bit thicker actually.
    Very full sounding and based on your description you have to check them out...

Pbassmanca likes this.
  20. rmars

rmars Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2004
    Bettendorf, Ia
    Anybody had a chance to compared the Fender Pure Vintage '74's to Nordstrand NP4's with the 70's wind? Looking for something a bit different than '60's style Jazz pickups. Wouldn't mind a slightly brighter bridge pickup though I've been curious if adding a treble bleed mod to my neck pot might get me where I wanna go.