Jaco my baby Rottie!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, Apr 22, 2004.

1. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, I told a few of you that my little lady was getting me a Rottweiler for my B-Day - it just so happens to be that......she finally brought him home last night! (i felt bad because i was supposed to go check out Pacman last night at a show...... :( sorry, Pacman, but i got my little baby!) He's only 4 weeks (i'm still a little concerned about this - but we have him on formula) - supposedly his mommy wasn't really producing any more milk.

He seems to be a Rott (no papers - those dogs are waaaay too expensive and this cutie needs a home!).

He has a big head, huge paws and is "thick" - he's already barking at noises so he seems alert. Maybe on this Sat or next Saturday he'll get his shots - don't know if it's too early yet.

When he walks, he looks like a little bear cub.... :D just like his daddy (me!! :D )

I am trying to get a digi cammy so i can post some pics....

:hyper: :)
  2. Oh man, Carlos, that's great!

Congratulations! :hyper:

You will soon find out how a dog, especially a puppy will burrow right into your heart. They're better friends than most people.

As for the shots, I don't know. I think he's still a liitle too young yet, but I'm not sure at all.

Be prepared for some sleepless nights; puppys don't know how to tell time. :D

Best of luck and a long life to him.

Mike :)
  3. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX

:D :hyper:

Post pics soon!
  4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Ok, I get it, the stork brought Jaco early.

Jaco only needed four paws ...

You look good with a formula bottle !
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Awesome, congrats! :)
  6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I had a great dane named Jaco - he died right after we got here to San Antonio. Puppies are the greatest. Sorry you couldn't make it - it was a good show - but I understand. Another time.
  7. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
  8. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I can't wait to get dogs. My wife and I are moving into a house in May and we are going to get a dog or two. She wants a large Yorkie like her old roommate has (much bigger and less yappy than a normal sized yorkie) and I want a boxer. We'll probably both end up with pound puppies but that'll be great too I'm sure!

brad cook
  9. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Weird. My wife would love a Yorkie and I'd love a Boxer too!

Right now, we're quite happy with our cats though.

There's also a big Rottie that lives upstairs and is a sweetie.

10. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    Man I would love to have a dog like one of those huge ones. But Im more of a cat person *insert flame* :D
  11. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
    Pics of the pooch? I am getting sick of all of these ******* cat pictures. Cats suck. Ferrets suck as well...
  12. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Congrats! Is this your first dog? Even if not, you will need to take the nescessary steps to raise this dog properly. Rotties can get VERY large (mine is 130# of solid muscle), and can be difficult to train. They are not stupid dogs, but can be very stubborn, and difficult to train. A major thing you definitely need to do is have the dog socialized at as young of an age as possible. Get her around as many people as possible, and also other dogs, cats, childern ect. Obedience classes are also highly reccomended for all dogs, but in particular for large dogs, and breeds that can be known to be viscious.

One thing to note, rotties seem to take to one person who they know as their master, and their favorite. My rott likes everyone, but he follows me every step I take. We got lucky, he is a very gentle giant, that wouldn't hurt a fly.
  13. hateater

hateater snatch canadian cream

May 4, 2001
    Eugene, OR
  14. Hey congrats NJL, I've always wanted a rottweiler, just seem to keep piling up on the labs instead (5 so far). Have fun with him!
  15. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    oh dear.......i have been reading up on how to raise a puppy for a while now - it's tough.

i am soooooo behind on sleep, but you know what it's worth it.

he will be six weeks this coming Saturday and will get his shots, i'm sure he's excited :D

as to house breaking, being so young, his bladder control is just not there yet, but that was expected. he hasn't poo'ed in the house - at all - he will only go outside and I am so grateful. he's able to come back in the house when he's done - he starts smelling for the porch and front door and climbs up the little steps. when he does that we'll play a little chase.

he's such a blast, but a huge responsibility - i knew it was going to be hard, but not this hard. raising a pup is also a great form of birthcontrol - at this moment, the last thing i want to do is have kids :D

another ramble - he has this great, shiny coat - he looks very, very healthy - not bad for a clumsy, bear-cub lookin' junkyard dog!

more details later - i'm trying to catch up on sleep here at the office.... ;)
  16. Dogs own! I suggest you get LOTS of stuff for her( i think its a her) to chew on. When my dog was young and teething, she would chew chunks out of the carpet and once ate 20 dollars of mine (which I later found in pieces in her poo :mad: ).
  17. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :D :D :D
  18. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I bet if you gave him a chew toy shaped like a bass, he'd rip the frets right off!

19. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    here's a little update:

he's going to the vet for his third round of shots - he's going to be 10 weeks on Sat. two weeks ago he weighed about ten pounds, I tried to weigh him the other night, he may be at about 15 lbs, but will know for sure on Sat morning.

as of now, he understands "no". he also understands when I start heading over to the crate with the leash, he's going outside! he has slowed down considerably on nibbling on my feet and hands. all with positive reinforcement! he's going to be very easy to train. he loves his papa!

there is nothing better than coming home for lunch or after work and seeing him wagging his little nub "there's daddy, there's daddy!" - I can't even get this from my own girlfriend... :D at least someone's happy to see me when I get home!

having a puppy is really training me, in essence. I wake up at 2-3 hour intervals to take him out at night to pee. he seems to like the consistency that I try to give him.

he made me very proud the other day - this was the first time I saw him try to defend HIS yard and HIS master:

we were outside and he was trying to do his thing, but a stray was looking to try to come into our yard - once Jaco saw him he started growling (like my Warwick) and barking (like when I solo the bridge Bart on my Sears Craftsman Jazz) at the dog. the other dog, didn't want to have anything to do with Jaco (even though Jaco tried throwing him an old Weather Report album and yelled out "I only need 4 paws!"). the other dog left the yard! I was so proud of my little boy!

he's a great dog! I wouldn't even trade him for a Fodera or Nordstrand! he gets along with other people and dogs (when he sees that Daddy and Mommy are friends with them) and is very sociable (unless you are not wanted in the yard).

hopefully I will enroll him in Kinder Puppy training at www.robcary.com. it's kinda far from the house, but well worth the drive - these people are supposed be very good at training the pets masters to train the pets properly. maybe as early as July, but I need to pay my buddy for the EUB that he's selling me (I have had it for quite some time now) - I'm getting a killer deal on it. he happened to get training at www.robcary.com for his Boxer.

I'm sooooo happy with my lil' junkyard doggie!

20. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Here are a couple of pics: