1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jaco Reincarnated?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by FatStringer52, Nov 30, 2020.

1. If this put a smile on your face, check out some of the other videos by this young man.

2. How in the world?

Microbass, DJ Bebop and FatStringer52 like this.
  3. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Wow! That was great.

FatStringer52 likes this.
  4. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I always think about kids like this when adults talk about full scale basses being uncomfortable.

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Someone get that kid some round wound strings.

6. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    To play devil's advocate, I would rather hear them play on a shorter scale instrument, in tune. Their hands aren't big enough yet to play an octave with good intonation in the lower positions.

But I'm certainly not criticizing a child because that would be mean spirited! I'm just saying, a shorter scale bass would have sounded a lot better here. Let's blame the teacher and not the kiddo. They're clearly having a blast. Great 'bass face'!

7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Yeah he’s out of tune. He’s probably great on a fretted though. He’s still better than me.

8. Dr. Keebs

Dr. Keebs Bassmaster General

Jan 9, 2016
    Montana
    Yeah, he's better than I try to be, and that makes me very happy for all of us bass players. Aron Hodek is another whippersnapper that will be something special as he develops. My favorite 'younger' player has been Mohini Dey for several years. Love how some can pick it up, work their butt off, and be light years beyond me. They got the gift.

9. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    Really? Why go there? Just because he can force himself to stretch on an oversized instrument doesn’t mean he should nor should anyone else. Do you tell kids to use adult size golf clubs?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    sing-modulator and FatStringer52 like this.
  10. WestyBassBob

WestyBassBob

Mar 2, 2020
    Oh no you’ve got it all wrong. Because he can play it clearly there is no reason for anyone to use a short scale bass. And kids should also play baseball with full size bats and gloves and forget having smaller soccer balls goals and fields. Make those 6 year olds run the full 120 yards down the pitch.

11. nattiep

nattiep

Sep 16, 2008
    Buffalo, NY
    I guess, but kids playing a game doesn't make everything sound off like a kid playing out of tune because the bass is too big. He's impressive but I can't handle it because it's out of tune. He'd be better off on a fretted right now.

12. nbsipics

nbsipics The Virtues of Cruising Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Compared to playing video games all day? Awsome. And what a game face!

13. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Why go there? Like I went somewhere outrageous? I went there because of what I find to be a mildly comical concept.

But yes, I do often tell children what to do. Other people’s kids. I just walk into the Tiger Schulman and tell them they suck at Karate.

Andre678, Jackcrow, bhoff5150 and 7 others like this.
  14. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Let’s be fair... the kids good! I think he’s playing things I’ve never played, but I’ve never tried either. I will say that playing what Jaco created and creating what Jaco played are very different things.

If it were up to me, and I know it isn’t, I’d buy him a P bass and every track Jamerson, Kaye, and Dunn ever played.

15. Koshchei

Koshchei

Mar 17, 2019
    Peterborough, ON
    Impressive, but the Jaco is dialed up so far in the mix that I can't hear the kid's playing all that well in the faster sections - it'd be better against a backing track. Still, good on him!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
  16. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    and some better repertoire :whistle:

Mechanical likes this.
  17. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Wow, imagine the level he could be on in 10 years if he maintains the joy and confidence he has now! :bassist:

18. JohnnyGringo

JohnnyGringo Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2009
    Ravenna, Ohio
    I’ve been following this young dude on Instagram for a while; his joy is infectious, his playing inspiring!

bass theory and FatStringer52 like this.
  19. Suho

Suho Bass Guardian Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2008
    Albany, NY
    I am not and have never been a fan of Jaco's playing. It's just not my thing. However, props to this young fellow for such ability to play at that age, and more, to have presence. The effect of scale length or anything else is, in my opinion, missing the point.

20. OptimalOptimus

OptimalOptimus

Jan 4, 2019
    Canada
    He is very good that is for sure. If started young enough they can develop perfect pitch etc.

as for joy of playing ... maybe ... I always think of Joe Pass who hated playing but it was better than working in a mine.

now ... the interesting part is will he play in a cover band when adult or be a starving artist or will he make it like so many on YouTube

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 25, 2021