Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jaco

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by JamesM, Aug 11, 2004.

1. hey there, just wondering did anyone get the chance to see jaco play in his glory years in weather report or joni mitchell etc. I've only gotten to know his music over the last few years and read all the horror stories that dominate his life, just wondering what it would have been like to see a leghend like him in person on stage.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Here's what you can do to get the same experience.

Buy a Jaco CD
    Buy a Lexus RX330 with premium sound system.
    Print out a picture of Jaco.
    Tape it to the window.
    Insert the Jaco CD and play it at maximum volume.
    Enjoy.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I saw Jaco numerous times in the 70's.....words cannot express how awesome & powerful he was!!!!!!

4. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    I saw him in '79(?) w/ Weather Report.

The set opened with Jaco alone on drums then he switched over to bass (Teen Town, I think).

He played barefoot and I remember him tapping out eighth (maybe sixteenth) notes with his foot.

His playing was... well, awesome.

5. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

he played at the mtl jazz fest, but i wasnt born yet. :crying:

6. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    One of the gigs I saw Jaco do was open a Pat Metheny show just playing solo bass for a hour or so..........just amazing!!! Almost everytime Jaco played in N.Y. or Jersey in the 70's I went.

7. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Seen Jaco in Fla. in 1975. went to scool there.
    Had the chance to talk to him a few times.
    Seen him later with WR and Joni Mitchell. unblievable.
    One of the best ever.
    No one grooved harder.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Who?

9. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I wish...

10. Lucky bastards (emor, jerry, and Mojo- Man) :crying: ... :bawl:

I just heard about him a little over a year ago, I was missing out. But then again, I've been playing bass for only a little over two years... :meh: I always wonder if he didn't do all those things that screwed up his life, what would he be doing now, his playing...it could only get better. I read the biography by Bob M. I was => :crying:

11. I was lucky to see Jaco several times in different settings. The 1st time was with WR, I was expecting Alphonso and wondered who that skinny white guy was, but when he started playing it didn't matter anymore. I saw him 2 more times with WR always amazing. I also saw him with Joni Mitchell and that tour is on DVD so we can all see that one over again and again. I also saw him with his little big band twice, the last time was not a good show because there were several weird situations going on stage.

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I downloaded a couple Weather Report videos/a bass solo, awesome!

Then I downloaded his instructional video, and nearly cried. He was in such bad shape, it was disturbing. He couldn't play his own basslines. He was so sloppy, couldn't do anything. :(

13. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    I was lucky enough to see Jaco many times.
    He reminded me of Stevie Ray Vaughan.
    No matter how f--ked up he was, he played great.
    But the early Jaco 1974-75. was on fire.
    Like he knew he was on to something fresh and new about his playing.
    The Jaco of 1985-86 was still good but there was no joy in his playing.

14. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I'm not deep into Jaco like a lot of folks here but I do know his stuff with Weather Report and his solo music. I have a question though.......do y'all think he would have ever delved into slap style (fretted bass of course)?? Or any other style for that matter? 'Cause it seems, like the above poster stated, that his playing towards his last days was sorta uninspired and recycled so to speak!

15. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Well, with respect, but you should listen better to his stuff (live stuff). There you can evidently find moments when he slaps on his fretless bass. It's not that he plays it a lot, but sometimes he uses it as a rythm instrument (in terms of drum patterns) and takes a small higher note in between.

For instance on 'Live and Unreleased - Weather Report' ... 'In a Silent Way/ Waterfall' he uses this technique. I almost can't imagine that he didn't slap at all (but not a lot on stage) but let's call this technique slapping? Then he did.

16. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    I watched the video of him at the Montreal Jazz Fest in '82 and all I wanted to do was buy a jazz bass so I could just throw it away! I'll never be able to play that well. :D

17. I got to see Jaco on his last tour, in the trio with Hiram Bullock and Kenwood Dennard.

no, it wasn't when he was in his prime, but the man had the most intense groove I have ever witnessed in person -- period.

I was so blown away by the first show that I borrowd money from everyone I knew so I could see 5 more. it took me that long to work up the nerve to talk to him and I'm glad I did.

if you want some insight into his condition, read the piece his daughter Mary wrote on http://www.jacopastorius.com. it will break your heart.

I know a bunch of people who knew Jaco when he was a younger, healthier man -- cats like Steve Bailey, Michael Manring, and Jake Kot -- and their stories are so cool.

now, more than 20 years after I started playing bass, the man is still such a tremendous inspiration to me that it's tough to put it in words.

from the humbled lows,

Stew

18. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Tragic, indeed. But infinitely beautiful. Mary understands that Jaco was brilliant, but in the end, to her he was simply daddy.

19. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I do have a recording of him doing a slappish sort of thing.

20. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Could you give me the URL to those videos? I'd like to take a look myself.

If you like Joni Mitchell, you can get her Shadows and Light (?) dvd. Jaco's playing on that one and he is in optima forma...but I haven't seen that vid myself.