Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jacques Pedals

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I got a chance to extensively test try most of them. I thought you'd like to have my impressions about them. I could play a few before, this time I had 6 of them.

All are very well built and dead silent, even heavy distortions. Jacques doesn't advertise about true bypass so I really don't know if they are or not. A/B test with a Loooper didn't reveal any hearable signal loss at reasonnable volume, except on the Fat Burner.
    I'm not too confident about the footswitch. It responds perfectly, no bump, no strange noises, but it feels delicate. Maybe a bit too delicate for my boots.

I only posted pics of these I found interesting for bass.

Tubeblower
    I said it before, this pedal is a blast for bass.
    It's a light to pretty heavy overdrive but nothing extreme. It's supposed to be an enhanced Tubescreamer with extended range and added harmonic content.
    I'd say the bill is full. It does that and more. There seems to be a high pass on distorted frequencies, set around 100 Hz. The lower range is very well preserved with maybe even a bit of boost.
    Tones go from a very light grit on low mediums to a heavy, straight and powerful warm overdrive. Think Ampeg SVP-Pro with the drive button all the way up.

High and Low settings actually control added harmonic content, in the same way the Tone knob on a Fulltone Bass-Drive does but here you can add in bass and treble ranges separately.
    This way you can keep clean lows with almost fuzzy highs.
    This pedal is an excellent deal. As far as tone goes, it's somewhere between a Fulltone Bassdrive and a Tubeworks BLue Tube.
    All that for a really reasonnable price. If I didn't own a Fulltone, I think I would have bought it.
    [​IMG]

Fuseblower
    A very aggressive and ballsy fuzz with 3 gain knobs slicing the tonal range. A very good idea, unfortunately the choice of frequencies makes it very dirty and unprecise on bass.

Mercer Box
    It's supposed to be a killer unit, unfortunately with the 2 basses I used (my Zipper bass and a MM SUB), all I got was useless gargling and a dramatic loss in lower frequencies.

Bat Fuzz
    Talk about a bad slap in the face.
    This pedal brings you 2 separate circuits in a single pedal, a fuzz and a heavy OD.
    The fuzz sounds 100 % like a Big Muff but with a lot more power in the low medium range. Separate notes come out with a lot of fat and leaking but keep a strong fundamental behind with a bit of dignity. :)

The overdrive section was clearly inspired from a Boss Metal Zone, so on bass is sounds like your typical heavy metal guitar. Lower range gets a bit blurry on extreme settings but when you need to fill rhythmic guitar parts with power chords it's just perfect.

Regardless of the settings, tone is always intense, dirty and tight. You can really sculpt yourself a perfectly controlled tone.
    Not as much low end as the TubeBlower but keeping a tight tone that goes through so well with as much dirt on top of it is a real performance.

So yeah this pedal is a lot of fun with great versatility as long as you're into heavy distortion.
    [​IMG]

Fat Burner
    Another good surprise. A nice compressor sustainer, roughly what you'd expect from a Boss CS-3 (but don't get).
    Muscle is a combined setting for comp rate and knee.
    Sustain acts as a level for quieter parts.
    This pedal will do wonders for a cheap amp. It really tightens your tone and delivers a lot of perceived volume and headroom.
    I'm not much of a tapper but my VH / Billy Sheehan impression of Eruption came out nicely. Not the best pedal to shape a slap tone though, it tends to "pump" a bit on extreme settings and slap/pop balance is difficult to achieve.

Now the bonuses : It also can be used as a phone amp, clean boost and signal splitter.
    I also plugged it directly into a Yorkville power amp through the phones output and it clipped the power input with volume at 2 o'clock.
    A very versatile, no hassle unit.

[​IMG]

MeisterSinger
    My favourite with the TubeBlower !
    An analogic chorus.
    It's got a very 80s tone. Think CE-1. Not a hint of hiss even with everything full on.
    If you like fretless tones a la Palladino, Eric Serra and Tony Franklin, this pedal is for you. With a high speed, it really enhances upper mid range and harmonics just shine.
    Chords sound clear and very airy (is that a word ?). With everything to the max you get a spacy, almost synth-like tone. Dolphin Dance sounded amazingly with it.
    This one will land on my pedalboard very soon.

[​IMG]

So yeah it's a great range of pedals for a not so heavy price. There are a few samples on the man's site but most are with guitars.
    www.ts808.com

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    nice one, JazzAd - I've seen them carried by online retailers here and wondered about them. thanks!

3. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Great reviews!

kudos,
    ~S~

4. Great, I've heard a lot of talk about the tube blower, and now I'll definitely have to check them out.

5. yes, thanks! i have been hearing things about those pedals, i am glad we've got a review!

any sound clips?

Charlie

6. You played eruption on bass? care to post?

I can play it on the Guit*r.

7. Jazz Ad

I'll make a mp3 eventually.
    I shamelessly copied this from Billy Sheehan. :)
    I don't do the whole song, just the funny parts.

8. The funny parts?, does that imply the tapping?

9. Jazz Ad

Indeed. They ARE the funny parts.

10. but what about the singing geisha?!

11. Jazz Ad

Couldn't try it. I wish I would. fuzz+wah+synth, sounds interesting.
    The guy also makes a lot of custom orders.

12. i believe it...i have been looking at those jacques for a few years now, and i still think that singing geisha is the funniest pedal i've ever seen. those tube blowers are just amazing though...
    i will one day get a boutique overdrive/distortion and it will either be a jacques or the ezekiel pedal toasted has.

btw, that mercer pedal looks interesting. i like it!

13. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering

Hm...
    Hello Jazz Ad, I'l trying another english speaking forum ! :)

You didn't say this in your french review !! Could you tell me what motivated you to finally choose the TC electronic SCF ?

14. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Aww man, no Trinity???

15. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    This must be an old thread, the trinity wasn't out at this time.

I found it searching about Jacques Stompbox.

16. Jazz Ad

I found a used SCF for 120 shipped.
    Do you have other questions ? :D

As for the Trinity, it's much newer. I didn't get a chance to try it yet. I will post a review as soon as I can.

17. I had a Meistersinger and returned it. I share your impressions about the switch, and wasn't confident that it'd be durable enough on my board. Sounded good though.

18. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I'm gonna have to try the Bat Fuzz, thanks for the review!

Graeme