1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jaguar bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darthplagis, Mar 23, 2006.

1. hi folks after years of longing for one fender finally made them........ and my wife got me one today:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :bassist: :D (sry)

all the nobs and switches are a bit daunting but once you get to grips its like you never done without.

i will be having a proper play tomorow as i am at my dads today. so i will let you guys know the score on how well she plays. oh yes i got a bass pod live too:D

2. Don't for the the "pics of proof" clause in posting about new basses! Congrats! Can't wait to see it. Color?

3. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I just tried one today, and while I couldn't figure out some of the knobs, it unquestionably offers some killer tones, with mucho cojones! Very interesting bass. Congrats.

4. RoMeRz

RoMeRz

Feb 13, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    awesome man :D

5. hi guys, ok 1st things 1st the controls.

after much twiddling of the rotary dials (bass horn) the closest to bridge is bass and the other is treble. then active/ passive switch.
    moving down to the treble end obviously the switches as a jaguar run as neck on/off, bridge on off/ and series/parrallel
    the control plate houses the master vol and passive tone

now onto sounds obviously due to switching you cant nail that classic "jazz" tone of one vol sligtly rolled off but hey this ISNT a jazz, but the series switch could be of help for this (this is my 1st jazz pickup bass so i cant say with credibility).

while the active controls do as expected its a bit awkward to call up tones on the fly as the lack of center notching on the rollers means its down to the ear alone to get it right. despite the gripe with the active controls the sound cant be knocked its got all the crisp highs and punchy bottom without bottoming out at exreme bass boost, the highs are pretty quiet on the hiss and noise front too but extremes do bring expected finger noise.

passive sounds are as to be expected from a fender, crisp and clean (why didnt i buy a jazz years ago???) with the neck solo you get the rounded thump and a touch of growl, add in the bridge and it smoothes out and highs seem to sing and the neck solo has a articulate bite with throaty mids when fingered near bridge. overall the active side doesnt diminish or overly color the passive tone at all just gives the hi-fi edge you expect from an active bass. with the basic passive tonal quality and the active 'boost' the jaguar is rather well equipped.

for those that must know mine is black with slightly aged looking 3-ply plate (i thought it looked mint green when i 1st played it but i am color blind. hehe), the neat battery comartment at the back does its job nicley and confused me as to how to actually get the battery out of its levered box for a good 5 mins. the neck is really slim and fast even my epi thunderbird feels MASSIVE compared to it. the rosewood neck is inlayed with MOP blocks at 1,3,5,7,9,12,15,17&19 giving the look of a 70 jazz.

i have ordered an ashtray bridge cover from the bay (the jazz "F" logo one) to add a bit of vintage vybe to it and cos' i love them.

6. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

I believe the reason there is no center notch on the active is that they are boost only. Rolled all the way off, they sound the same as going passive.

7. ah lug you probably are right on that point, i dont know why i never thought of it that way.

i received the bridge plate this morning i havent fitted it yet as i have a few Q's about the srews and repeated removal and refitting when i change strings. it looks SOOOO much cooler with the plate over the bridge though it almost apes the shape of the trem on the guitar version (come on fender how didnt you spot this???).

8. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Can the tone of the jag be thick like a precision? I think my p bass knows I'm looking for a new bass cuz its suddenly starting to sound sweet to my ears. Thanks.

9. sanray

sanray

Nov 8, 2005
    I am elated to hear someone has the bass, I have loved the look of those things as soon as I saw them. I hope you have fun with it and give me visuals!

10. i am a died in the wool Fender Jazz lover. i played a Jag recently, at a local shop. i was very impressed!! it will be my next bass purchase. and my first, non Jazz Bazz purchase in 20 yrs. congrats!!:cool:

11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    You mean like mine?

[​IMG]

TD

12. jeff_bass28

jeff_bass28 Guest

Mar 21, 2006
    your WIFE bought it? Lucky bastard...Check out "medical problem?" in the misc. forum for the last thing my fiance gave ME!

13. thanks for the feed back guys

Thornton, i put the large F logo one on my bass (i will try to get a pic soon (photobucket doesnt like me latley)its nice to see another jaguar owner pleased with the beast and doing the same thing i did, and i can sorta get the growl of a P if i mess with the active bass control strings of 4 but i really love the tone of the bass as is (i tried a US S-1 P-bass when i bought it and it sounded rubbish!!) and i have an epi thunderbird for middly growl.

Yeah Jeff my wife is SOOO under the thumb she got me a bass podxt live at the same time hehehe

14. i played one last week - great tone... i was impressed - love the red pic posted above
    a 5 string comming??? that would be cool

15. a 5 would be nice but i dont see that coming for a while unless people start buying them buy the bucket load and nag fender for a 5.

here is a pic of my new baby PICT0004.

16. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    My wife bought me on on valetine's day because "it was the reddest bass there". :D

[​IMG]

17. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Does the finish on the neck cover the fretboard like on the geddy? it looks as if it has no finish at all. I can't wait to try one, my gas grows every minute!!! Oh and thanks for the reply darth, i figured the easiest if not only way to get that low growl would be through the active controls, but hey, works for me!!!

18. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Nornal rosewood fretboard

19. rgallant

rgallant

Feb 14, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Congrats on the new Bass. What do the Jags retail for (approx.)? :D

20. lug

lug