1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jamerson Pre-build questions??

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by bassgod76, May 5, 2010.

1. bassgod76

bassgod76 bass turd burglar

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I'm quasi gearing up for a Jamerson tribute bass in the fall. I'm trying to do this right. With my Jaco tribute, I ran into some of those who mentioned inaccuracies in my attempt.

I want to get this right so any and all pointers would be appreciated.

For instance, the pickguard has me a bit baffled. Is the color like this?

pickguard1.

or this?

Pickguard.

As far as pickups go, I think I will use Duncan Antiquity II. Cool?

Antiquity.

I will most likely order one of the Fender reissue necks from Stratosphere on Ebay. It's not that cheap, but they have nice necks.

I will also have Dan Atkinson relic the whole thing, and he will do my sunburst finish.

My question is what condtion should I relic it? I'm thinking like a slight relic. Nothing like my Jaco.

Lastly, I have a question about pickup covers. How much relicing do these get? I want it to look realistic, but I want one to get the impression that the bass was played for hours in a tiny Detroit studio.

Suggestions?

2. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    Use the specs of a '62 Pbass, I think the second pickguard is the one.

3. RI's will give you a decent enough idea of specs etc, although they aren't very accurate. PM me and I can email you some dimensions from an orginal 60P or a 62P.

Wes

4. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    that would be a cool project. another awesome one would be that bass (the players name escapes me) anyway, its been on the site before. but its a jazz and its really really "reliced" from use, its got a blue top coat and a red undercoat. anyway, it looks awesome.

for some reason i think it has something to do with flowers. :/

5. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    That's Herbie Flowers you ding-dong! (with all due respect... :D )

Bassgod, in regards to the pics of the pickguards, I think they are more similar to each other than those photos lead one to believe. Here they both are with closer exposure levels:

nbyex1.

25j8m8h.

6. Man I'm so unimpressed with re-issue pick guards. ...... They can put a couple guys o the moon and never go back but they can't make a real looking 60's Fender pickguard.
    I'd go with a real light relic if at all. James played it his bass out of the case with the small Fender flats forever. Plus, I'm not sure really how much he gig outside of the studio with it. ..... He spent most of his nights playing jazz gigs on upright.

7. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Well, Rick Suchow's history notes him buying the funk machine in 61 in order to go on the road and he toured until 64, so in three years he might have done some damage and wear on the nitro finish. After that, he had another solid 7 years or so of regular studio work which would have definitely worn the nitro finish pretty well, so who knows what it looked like in the end.

I've picked through piles of pickguard blanks and have found some very original looking material over the years. I agree that I haven't seen any original style in a pre-cut pickguard for a long time. Bassgod, you might be better off checking out an original 61 and then trying to match it with blank material through one of the online vendors. Also, you've done your explosive ibanez, cutting out a new pickguard from a blank will be a breeze for you...

8. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I hear you on the pickguard. I saw a real 63 P the other day at Kaufman's shop. The pickguard was tort, and I have never seen anything like it. I can cut a pickguard out, but I'd have to practice getting that beveled edge. Well, if you have any other ideas, shoot them my way.

9. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    how about tinting a tort pickguard to match the color? idk really, i have no experience with building but its just a suggestion...

10. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    I don't know about a '62 Pbass, but this is what a '62 Jazz pick guard looks like.

Attached Files:

11. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Oh boy, I'm confused

12. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    Atkinson's attempt at a Jamerson funk machine.

Jamerson.

13. John D

John D Guest

Dec 27, 2009
    I didn't mean to confuse you. LOL FWIW I think the bottom one in your pics looks really close to accurate. No two of them are the same, but the overall color of that one looks more authentic.

14. You can't suspect 3-years on the road and 7-in the studio would do much damage to a Fender bass when the man wore a suit and most often sat down to play. ...... I'd think more dirt and sweat than finish wear.
    I remember being impressed by a company called Eden's 60's style of pickguard posted on Ebay.

15. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Well, my nitro les paul is completely worn on the back and sides of the neck, especially in the second position, and the lower body is worn right back to the wood where my arm hangs over it, underneath the scoop where it sits on my knee and a big section on the back from rubbing against my body. Its not chipped, cracked, crazed or dented in many places, but the smooth wear from moving on fabric is definitely evident. I've played it tons in the last 25 years, but I've only gigged it a few times and never toured with it, so who knows what his would have looked like. I just wouldn't guess it has little to no wear, he only owned one bass and played it thousands of times over two decades before his death...

Bassgod, are you going to give it huge relief and nearly unplayable action like reports of his original funk machine? :D

16. bassgod76

Mar 13, 2003
    South Florida
    I was waiting for someone to ask that. LOL!

Any ideas on strings?

17. vbasscustom

vbasscustom

Sep 8, 2008
    man, idiot. i cant belive i couldnt remember his first name but i knew flowers lol.

18. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    :D

Labella heavy gauge flats for strings, with foam mutes under the bridge cover, or at least so says the internet, and god knows the internet is always right...

19. the baint

the baint

Jan 1, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    Techtronic Industries, North America employee. Opinions are my own.
    I've got the "Shadows of Motown" biography here, so let me know if you want me to look up any deets.

20. MR PC

MR PC Banned

Dec 1, 2007
    James supposedly never adjusted his truss rod, and the action was very high due to the neck bow. Since James played an off the shelf stock '62 without any mods, you ought to be able to pull this one off without so many comments from the peanut gallery!;) Oh yes, but I can't wait to to see how you deal with carving and inking the legendary Funk Machine graffiti behind the neck!:D