1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Japanese Jazz Bass Active controls help!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Goodebassman, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Hi

I have just picked up a great MIJ Jazz Bass circa 93/94 but it has a unique control layout which I am having trouble getting to grips with. Cannot find any other like this or any info to help me out. It has the standard 3 pot layout with the addition that all 3 are stacked pots. There are also 2 toggle switches - 1 under first pot and 1 under 3 pot. The top pot on control one seems to be overall vol control but cannot work out rest. Obv there is active/ passive switch but the controls dont seem to be the usual vol/vol/tone in passive mode, in fact any no eq controls in passive at all. Also the active eq is v confusing, not sure which is pickup select or blend etc. Any ideas or help would be appreciated
    Serial No is O 067896 if it helps?
    I have included pic which shows all controls except toggle switch under 1st pot.

Cheers Dan

attachment.

attachment.

Attached Files:

2. All I can tell you is that having the controls of an active bass act weird in passive mode is normal. You'll usually be left with a Master volume, a pickup select switch, and maybe a master tone control. They are generally not meant to be used passive except in a pinch.

3. After thinking about it, I think your bass has a John East J-Retro preamp in it. Which is a good thing, if you like that sort of thing.

4. Yeah I realise that - but all I seem to have is master vol and nothing else in passive.
    I have had many diff active configs on various basses over the years - this just seems a little confusing to me tho. Dont get me wrong I am getting fantastic sounds from it - just really wanna clarify each control so I know what I am doing rather than just twiddling like a loon lol!!!

Cheers

5. Check John East website. Pretty sure that's what you've got there.

6. Indeed - looks like u knocked the nail on the head!!!
    mUCH GRATITUDE TO U!!!

Dan

7. No problem Dan. Nice pre, I have one.

8. By the way Dan, something to be aware of-- the Bass control is boost only, so don't leave it at the center detent unless you want 50% bass boost.

9. Yeah I read that. Checked out the John East site - a very nice bit of kit and a real bonus on a bass that cost me just over £600!
    Had time to give it bit of a blast today, sounds sweet as a nut and that pre gives pretty much all I need.
    Cheers for clearing up the mystery

10. Yes, that is indeed a very nice find. Seems like a really nice bass generally. Congratulations.