Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Jason Newsted

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Voivodian49, Dec 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Do any of you guys like Jason Newsted? He plays in Voivod currently and used to be in Metallica. He is by far my biggest inspiration in that watching him play made me want to play... I love his style and agressive playing :bassist: . So what do you guys think about him?

Mike

2. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    He just quit his gig with Ozzy! That must mean that Voivod is his number one now. Personally, I really like how his bass sounds on the new Voivod album. I'm not too crazy about anything else he does, but a good player nonetheless!

3. After Forever

After Forever Banned

Feb 27, 2003
    Detroit area
    He alright, he's no Cliff Burton...where was he in the AJFA album?

4. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Sweden
    There are hundreds of better and more creative players in metal so I can't say i like him very much.

5. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    What's so great about him? I saw him in '88 when he toured with Metallica & he did absolutely nothing for me. Haven't given the new Voi Vod a listen yet but I saw them last in '93 with their old bassist, who Jason can't hold a candle to. Echo Brain is just as boring in sound & style...

~S~

6. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    I started playing bass after i saw him on S&M so yeah, he inspired me to pick up the bass.
    he's my favourite bassist

7. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I like Jason because he's a solid player who writes solid lines and has a thick, meaty tone.

8. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    hmm jason...well not the best player i do think he made live ozzy better IMHO but he played everything on AJFA except for To live is to die which was cliff's last recording (btw i love cliff. lol)

9. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Are you sure Cliff played bass on "Live"? Sorry, but I have to question that. I mean, he did die in 1986, two years before Justice was recorded.

10. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Jason was playing at 110% on that gig he really delived a great performance. I think they should have turned the bass up on the recording.

11. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    yup im sure.

12. ChildoftheKorn

ChildoftheKorn

May 21, 2003
    IL
    actually the more i think about it now....its either his last recording or an ode to cliff...hmm ill have to research it again

13. Newsted played on the entire album. Burton gets writing credits on "To Live Is To Die" (for the middle section, I think).

14. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Justice's liner notes give Cliff credit for the "lyrics" to "To Live Is To Die." The song is a tribute to him.

15. This makes sense. :)

16. Cliff wrote most of the song to. I remember reading an interwiev with james and he said that TLITD was mostly a bunch of riffs that cliff wrote earlier and they thought it would be cool if there was some stuff on the justica album written by him.

17. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    1) You can blame the other members in Metallica for the lack of Jason's presence in AJFA

2) He was a great bass player in Flotsam and Jetsam before Metallica. Definite chops.

3) There is a reason Metallica chose Jason over 1000+ bassists after Cliff died.

Basing what Jason did only in the Metallica era is pretty limited. Its like saying Trujillo most not be anything, because you can't hear him in the latest album. Jason is a really good player, and also a really good writer.

18. You can't hear him because he didn't play on it. Bob Rot (sic) played the bass.

19. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    hmmm....yeah that is right. bad analogy. The video really screws me up on that.

20. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    Ok, I'm tapping into some old brain cells here so don't quote me word for word here:

After Cliffs death(RIP)they auditioned a "few" prospects(maybe 1000 applied)& even Les Claypool auditioned for them because he just wanted to jam with them(imagine)& hopefully land the part BUT was rejected because he was TOO good & didn't fit their criteria(oh well). I LOVE Claypool's version of "The Thing That Should Not Be", killer stuff without totally ruining it, IMO.

Then, after auditioning a few likely people, they settled on Newsted, who had just finished his first & only recording/semi-tour with Flotsam(Doomsday For The Deceiver/Metalblade/'86)that I happen to like in some parts(especially "Fade to Black", LOL, hmmm, what band do I REALLY want to be in)ONLY accepting him because Armored Saints bassist Joe ???(forget his name now)was Metallica's first choice as a replacement but he did NOT want to leave his band for them!(again, imagine)So they took in Newsted because they needed a good solid bassist that knew ALL their material(Jason was a Met. buff & fanatic)+ they were in the middle of their tour upon Cliffs death & were getting flack from the label & promoters about cancellations(ahh, good ol' rock & roll politics)so they brain washed him & basically controlled him throughout his term(shame, because he can play, just not MY bag). They also settled for him because he was totally different than Cliff & they didn't try/want to "fill his shoes" with a wannabe replica of him out of respect & knowing it would be IMPOSSIBLE...

The End,
    ~S~

PS: I've seen Rob T & he is an amazing player in chops & flash. Should've stayed with Ozzy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.