1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Bass 1T, 1V, 3Way Selector + Series Parallel Help!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sam Becker, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Sam Becker

Sam Becker

Aug 7, 2015
    Hey all,

I hope you're all well during this time!

So I would like to replace my VVT setup on my bass for Master volume, Master tone and a 3 way selector for neck, bridge and both pickups and I'd also like to add a series parallel switch element. I wonder if it's better to have the series parallel switch built into a push/pull pot or if it's best to build it into the 3 way switch (to maybe have a 4 way instead).

If anyone has any thoughts please let me know and if anyone has a wiring diagram for any such thing I would be hugely appreciative!

Best wishes,

Sam

2. Torrente Cro

Torrente Cro

Sep 5, 2013
    Croatia
    I did 4 way switch with my double P and it works fine.
    (I think that what I used is called Telecaster wiring)

Inara likes this.
  3. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    Here you go

Attached Files:

Inara likes this.
  4. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    Tele style

Attached Files:

5. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
  6. Sam Becker

Sam Becker

Aug 7, 2015
    Thank you all so much for your help!

7. Sam Becker

Sam Becker

Aug 7, 2015
    Thank you so much for this - I've wired it up with this diagram and it works until I attach the jack to the control plate. When I attach the jack to the control plate the signal completely short circuits but there are no instances of the hot and ground wires touching in the circuit at all. Any thoughts?

Many thanks,

Sam

8. jbrew73

jbrew73

Dec 24, 2006
    Look at the tele style schematic. I think the hot and ground are wrong in the one you used.

9. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Sounds like you have the hot and ground wires to the output jack reversed.

10. Sam Becker

Sam Becker

Aug 7, 2015
    I did have them in reverse! I switched it and it works absolutely great! Thank you so much to all of you for your help! My bass sounds massive now?
    !

rojo412, ctmullins and Crater like this.
  11. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Any leads on where to find the right switch? Allparts doesn’t carry the one used in those threads any longer.

12. Sam Becker

Sam Becker

Aug 7, 2015
    I’m based in the UK and got a hosco 3 way selector on eBay and for the push pull I got a CTS from eBay too! I hope that helps!

TheEmptyCell likes this.
  13. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wish it did, but I’m avoiding using a push-pull. My Dingwall bass has a 4 position rotary and it’s so handy.

14. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Looks like Mouser has some.

Does Dingwall still sell theirs?

15. Why?
    I couldn't imagine by the life of me to ever touch a Jazz Bass that doesn't allow me to influence the volume of each pickup individually. That's the essence of a Jazz Bass for me. And worth the single coil noise... I nearly never have both pickups at the same volume. If you want a Humbucker, go and buy a Precision... :)

When I was young and naive, I always had all three potis VVT turned to the max. This lack of intelligence and talent must have cost me about 10 years of my bass playing life.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021