1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

jazz bass fret buzz

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by maximarch, Jul 21, 2017.

1. maximarch

maximarch

Mar 29, 2017
    Canada, Quebec
    I just got myself a new fender jazz bass opal white. It's very nice but my E string has alot of fret buzz. If I play on the bridge pickup it's fine but if I play on the neck pickup the buzz is very intense. Is it normal or should I go see someone to adjust it?.

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    As a rule of thumb, never trust a factory setup. If you don't have the time or the tools to learn all the setup basics to do it yourself, then seek out the best tech/luthier in your area and have the bass set up for your preferences/technique/style/brand of strings. It makes all the difference in the world.

3. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

try raising the string till it goes away.

4. maximarch

maximarch

Mar 29, 2017
    Canada, Quebec
    I tried changing the truss rod but it didn't help and it felt wierd so I changed it back. I don't havee the tools for bridge and radius so I'm pretty sure I'm going to have it set up since I still have a free setup at steve's music.

5. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

Free setup is good but it's not YOUR preferred setup it's the tech's.

Don't get caught up in minute details. Radius by eye (or ruler) works. It's not unusual that the E doesn't follow radius because it moves in a larger area and needs more room. Jack it up until the buzz stops and if it doesn't feel right then Look at the next option. There is nothing wrong with trying raising it to rid buzz for the short term while you study up on full setups. Look unless every fret on the neck is PERFECT nothing will be perfect. So you either pay to get it perfect (full fret check and level, etc.) or become well versed in doing your own setups. Small imperfections in the factory leveled frets can be overcome and even unnoticeable with a proper full setup. It's great when you learn how to do it yourself to save money and gain personal satisfaction.

Badwater likes this.
  6. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth

Jan 2, 2015
    heart of darkness
  7. GK Growl

GK Growl

Dec 31, 2011
    Sounds like it is setup just perfect.

Best regards,

Geddy Lee

Alik, Lownote38 and 96tbird like this.