1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

jazz bass 'riffs' you need to know

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by oliebrice, Apr 19, 2006.

1. oliebrice

oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    Hastings, UK
    I was listing in my head the tunes that have bass parts you would be expected to know and play on a pickup gig/jam session, and came up with these:
    So What
    Cantaloupe Island
    Night in Tunisia
    Footprints
    The Sidewinder

anyone think of any others? I'm thinking specifically of parts all jazz bassists should be expected to know, rather than every tune wih a composed bassline.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Four on Six - Wes Montgomery, might be another one, where the bass lines is integral to the tune...I'll have to have a think about any more....

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    All Blues, definitely.

4. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Night In Tunisia - Bird and Diz
    Red Clay - Freddie Hubbard

5. Black Page part 2, the easy teenage New York version :hyper:

6. You should also know the bass parts to these tunes, some fake books have it written ,some don't :

Star Eyes,
    Dear Old Stockholm
    Manteca
    Little Sun Flower
    Song for My Father
    Chitlins Con Carne
    Chameleon
    Equinox
    Stolen Moments

Another thing to consider is learning the heads to several tunes you may be asked to play in unison with a jazz band. The ones I been asked to play in various jazz groups and have seen others play are:

Oleo
    Cute
    Scapple from the apple
    Blues By Five
    Blue Monk
    Straight No Chaser

7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Eh? :confused:

8. Afterthought on my previous post reply. I also recommend the intro to All the Things You Are(and ever wanted to be) alot of jazz groups like the piano player and bass to play that intro in unison, it's also fun to play with the bow, gives it a very classical like feel.

9. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Seems as though a fair number of bandleaders want you to play the head to "Freedom Jazz Dance", ever since Miroslav Vitous did it.

10. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Unison riff to Chick Corea's "Spain"

11. glivanos

glivanos Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2005
    Philadelphia Area
    Afterthought to my previous reply, the head to "Billie's Bounce".

12. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Add:
    Groovin' High (unison)
    Cold Duck Time (bass riff)

13. Angle eyes
    Killer joe
    Summertime - good for letting the owner new girl friend to sitin on vocals
    Giant Steps - in case I need to punish the band

14. Right Killer Joe . I play that Afro cuban, 6/8, the A section then to 4/4 on B section. Montuno the C to Bf, 6/8. So Fred, Angel Eyes, I often play the AA section in unison and let whoever blow the B section and last A or are you saying there is a figured bass line? I never seen one written out in any of the books I have.

Another great unsion song( monks version of rythm changes) is Rythm -A -Thing. I first heard it by Chick, Miroslov and Roy Haynes, fun to play, but you have to be careful or you might have a train wreck!

15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Zappa.

... I think

16. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ray Brown's intro to Stella.

17. anonymous8547j7d7b

anonymous8547j7d7b Guest

Jul 1, 2005
    :) :) :)
    Nice one! I'm assuming you mean the gorgeous "original" intro/verse in G ("Time and again I've longed for adventure...") & not that ugly Db - C thing horn players seem to get off on.

18. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Jay, where can I find a version with that intro on it? The only one I'm familiar with is the Db-C thing.

I'm going to second the motion for the head to Billie's Bounce. It just lays out SO nicely on DB, too :D.

19. Hey hotdbass, In angle eyes I pretty much play the chord tonics from the form to start then shift to patterns centering on Cm and Ab till the turnarounds of the A parts. I sometimes start it out soloing the melody. I’ll give playing in unison for the head a try, should sound cool. I love angle eyes it’s such a dramatic tune you expect Sam Spade to walk out in his fedora. And yea, killer joe works great afrocuban but I never tried changing the time sig for the B part, give that a try too. Thanks for the tips…

20. anonymous8547j7d7b

anonymous8547j7d7b Guest

Jul 1, 2005
    Never heard it on a recording myself - in fact, I didn't know it existed until a couple of years back when a veteran (83 yr old) pianist I work with played it and blew me away. Probably more likely to find it on a vocal recording. I think a vocalist I work with - who always does the intro - first came to the tune from hearing Jack Jones :meh:. I'm sure there will be others out there though. If i get hold of a scanner i'll write it out & post it.