Jazz bass- volume between strings question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by joeydavidson, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Do Jazz basses have more boom and thump coming from the A string? Usually it's the E string that is more dominant in my previous basses, but now that I have this new Jazz I find that I have to have the E string more closer to the pups than the A and D string to get it to keep up with the other strings. Just wondering if this is normal.

2. Grissle

Grissle

May 17, 2009
    First off what model of J bass do you have? More details will help us help you better. Secondly, because of lack of details I can only say typically uneven string response can be the fault of bad string/s, or poorly or cheaply made pickups

3. It's a MIM Jazz, I've tried 2 sets of strings yet I still feel like the E isn't dominant enough, it's the A and D strings that seem to be more present in the mix, also the E sounds slightly harsher generally like it's a bit more scooped sounding than the other strings...in contrast it seems ok when played acoustically - maybe still just a tad on the quiet side but only on a few frets.

I was thinking it could be the pickups but perhaps it's the bass as well, some people say Jazz basses are a bit 'thinner' sounding than other basses - maybe this is more pronouned on the E string because I'm so used to boomy loud E strings.

I can compensate for it but I want my strings to sound as even as possible - I use a pick and also like to add a slight growly distortion sometimes and that needs even sounding strings or it sounds not so great.

4. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Fender Jazz basses can be quirky instruments - and the MIM's seem to be some of the quirkiest.

One of the things I learned about Jazz basses in the 60's (ya, I am that old) is that you get a fatter sound when the volume controls of both pickups are set somewhere between 75%-80% open. It has to do with the way the pickups load each other. That's the way I operate my MIM most of the time - both pickups on at the same level around 75%.

Whether this solves the problem you are having with uneven levels only you can tell. But try the 75% solution and see if it cures about 75% of your problem.

5. I have the volumes at about 90% at the moment, it does cure about about 50% of the problem, if they are running dimed then the e string becomes snarly and a little out of phase sounding but strangely the other strings don't suffer as much.

I should add that when playing with my fingers I don't really notice a problem, a pick seems to make the e string less full sounding.

6. I've solved the problem

I put a shim in the neck pocket - a small piece of sandpaper, this means that there is now considerably more downwards force on the bridge saddles - the e string has suddenly come to life, it's never sounded so good! it's so full and punchy now, In fact everything is generally sounding better. :hyper:

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 21, 2021