1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz competition, question on material?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Cody_Gibs1, Oct 10, 2006.

1. Cody_Gibs1

Cody_Gibs1

Mar 15, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    First off, I didn't know which category to put this in so I figured "Music" would be suitable, being that it's so broad.

I've chosen to play Blue Bossa as my uptempo tune.(I'm imagining it being like Pat Martino's version.)
    I've also chosen In A Sentimental Mood as my ballad.

ANY suggestions or tips on these songs would be greatly appreciated. I have started writing out some possibilities for the songs, but I don't feel like my walking line are flowing as naturally as I would like them too. I feel like I'm too worried about making my lines complex. I feel like they're coming out unnatural. No? idk..

Here are the requirements:

• The 12-bar blues piece Straight No Chaser in medium tempo with standard or altered chord changes. You must include at least two choruses of walking bass-lines and three choruses of improvisation. Click here to download the score.

• A jazz ballad of your choice which must include one chorus of improvisation. (No original compositions).

• An up-tempo tune in any jazz style except blues which must include at least two choruses of walking bass-lines and three choruses of improvisation. (Composers such as Thelonious Monk, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Chick Corea, Pat Matheny, Herbie Hancock, George Gershwin, Tito Puente. No original compositions).

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

Well that gives you a huge range of tunes to choose from - hundreds at least !! :eek:

It may help to cut it down - so do you know any Jazz tunes already - better to do something familiar?

If not - then do you have the music or recordings for any ballads or up-tempo tunes by those composers? The sooner you get working on them, the better!

It's then up to you - personally I would be drawn to a Coltrane tune (but not Giant Steps) or Miles - but that still gives you a huge range - 'Solar' is a nice simple Miles tune - I don't know, it's up to you!!

3. Since Straight No Chaser is a requirement, I'd stay away from Solar for the 3rd tune--even though it's different it's too close harmonically to a 12-bar blues in my opinion for a 3-song audition. You certainly do have a huge range of songs available--if you can give me some idea of your skill level or tunes you like to play I and others might be able to give you better advice. Bruce Lindfeld has a good point when he suggests doing something you know already--you'll have a head start on preparing that, which could be especially helpful if the audition is coming up soon. But then again I wouldn't discourage you from learning something new if you have the time and ability to get it together in time, and if it'll make for a good audition.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I was suggesting something easy - i.e. the least painful option - until we get an idea of level, it is pretty hard to think about a varied programme - lots of options for "impressive", but they may be way out of reach....?

5. Bruce, I agree that Solar would be a good, relatively easy option in some circumstances. But I'll maintain that it would be better to choose from the many other options available, especially since the requirements stipulate that the 3rd tune shouldn't be a blues--as I said, Solar isn't really one, but it's close. There are plenty of tunes at comparable degrees of difficulty that would create more contrast in the program. As you say, we need to get a better idea of the player's level to really be able to help.

Aaron

6. Bruce Lindfield

It was just a throw-away first thought -as you say there are many choices that would probably create a better programme! :)

7. Cody_Gibs1

Cody_Gibs1

Mar 15, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY

I do know some jazz tunes, and I'm going to do Blue Bossa, and In a Sentimental Mood! For Blue Bossa, I'm thinking it is going to go like Pat Martino's version of the song. and In A Sentimental Mood... idk. Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra's version. That was a joke, if anyone listens to that band.

8. Cody_Gibs1

Cody_Gibs1

Mar 15, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    Well, I've been playing electric for about 4 years, and upright.. not too long, nor have I been playing jazz for too long. buttttttt, I do know a fair amount of jazz tunes that I learned from the real book so I could fill in for a bass player in a jazz band that gigs regularly. So I have become pretty well-acquainted with many standards. I'm not the best upright player, but I'm fairly competent.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Best to stick with tunes you know well...I woudl have thought...? :)

10. jsbarber

jsbarber

Jun 7, 2005
    San Diego
    If your arco is up to it, why not begin the jazz ballad by playing a chorus of the melody with the bow? (In fact, you might want to do the same and play the head on the other tunes, but in pizzicato, especially if you will be unaccompanied, which is what I assumed since there is no mention of an ensemble.)

Jim

11. shwashwa

shwashwa

Aug 30, 2003
    NJ
    i think its interesting that you choose blue bossa for your up tempo tune, and it says in the requirements that you need to play a walking line on it... blue bossa is traditionally a bossa, so you usually wouldnt walk, and if you do it uptempo, then it would be more like a samba or mambo or something. not that that's wrong, and not that you can't walk on it either. when i play that tune i go into a swing feel all the time if the tune is going long, but if this is a competition, be prepared to be criticized for it. although i'm sure you know it's a bossa, the judges only know what you show them. it could be a very hip move, or on the other hand, the judges could be looking for something more "traditional". it all depends on the judges. if it were me, i'd go with something that was intended to be a swing tune with walking bass, as the requirements call for, so as not to open an avenue for them to criticize me, because it's a competition. but as i said, i go to swing all the time on a gig. just a thought

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 15, 2021