1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz Control Plate Wire

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by redsquidd, Apr 16, 2010.

1. redsquidd

redsquidd Banned

Mar 11, 2008
    Forgive my ignorance, but I soldered pickups to a jazz harness in the past. I like to make a new harness (2 Vol. 1 Tone). My question is: What kind of cable is connecting the outer lugs? Say if I'm going to an electronics store, what kind of cable should I buy? What's the best gauge?
    Also, what's better? Bending the lug to solder it to the pot to ground it? I had one harness that looks like copper wire is connecting the ground lugs.
    I've tried to look this up to no avail.
    Thanks.

2. Don't do that!
    IME, I find it difficult to desolder, should you need to remove the pot casing later on.

22 AWG stranded copper wire is usually your best bet for wiring a bass.

3. redsquidd

redsquidd Banned

Mar 11, 2008
    Use the 22 AWG stranded copper wire to jump each pot to the jack for signal that's on the left lug? (Left Lug in Pic)
    What kind of cable would you use to to ground the pots?
    I've seen some harnesses where they use copper wire for the right lug and just solder it back to the pot or jump the right lug like the
    pic below.

Attached Files:

4. Yes.

5. redsquidd

redsquidd Banned

Mar 11, 2008
    Thanks.

6. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Not to derail, but has anybody ever used larger wire - like 12-14 AWG - to wire it up?

I'll be wiring a modified Squier P with two pickups (P & MM), 5-way switch, vol, vol & tone with 1M ohm pots and just wanted to get a signal with as little degradation as possible.

7. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    22 ga is more than adequate for the small signal level the PUs generate. Larger wire gains nothing and will be difficult to work with. Besides that, the center conductor in your 20' guitar cable is probably smaller than 22 ga so the few inches of 14-12 ga won't make any difference.
    mech