Jazz Master

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Coleman, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    In ur opinion,
    who is good jazz bassist? :bag:
  2. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    A SHORT list - I've excluded the more "fusion" electric bassists:

Steve Swallow
    Monk Montgomery
    Bob Cranshaw
    Eberhard Weber (arguably more electric than acoustic)

Milt Hinton
    Jimmy Blanton
    Oscar Pettiford
    Ray Brown
    Paul Chambers
    Percy Heath
    Charles Mingus
    Scott LaFaro
    Jimmy Garrison
    Charlie Haden
    Bob Cranshaw
    Ron Carter
    Gary Peacock
    Eddie Gomez
    Marc Johnson
    Dave Holland
    Peter Ind
    Rufus Reid
    Miroslav Vitous
    George Mraz
    Palle Danielsson
    Buster Williams
  3. frodebass

Apr 11, 2004

Mike Richmond
    Lars Danielsson
    Arild Andersen
    Christian McBride
    Michael Moore
  4. Coleman

Oct 13, 2001
    Hong Kong
    any other electric bass jazz player?
  5. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    There are few notable electric bassists playing "straight-ahead" jazz (for want of a better phrase). Electric bass is more common in fusions of jazz with other styles, eg. jazz-rock, jazz-funk, latin-jazz etc.

A small sample of "fusion" bassists:
    Jaco Pastorius
    Stanley Clarke (his electric playing)
    Marcus Miller
    Paul Jackson
    Rick Laird
    Ralphe Armstrong
    Jonas Hellborg
    Christian McBride (his electric playing)
    Jimmy Haslip
    Victor Wooten
    Victor Bailey
    John Patitucci (his electric playing)
  6. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    This "Fusion" catagorization is a minefield. Fusing what to what? You may note my impression that catagorization is dangerous. The minute you think you have somebody 'pegged' he'll come out with a project the may rip your wig off. It's all music.
  7. This entry is so bizarre....I'm so surprised to find that Christian is a Fusion player...I'm begining to be afraid to log in anymore!
  8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Categorization is just fine, and part of life, so get used to it. After all, you're at a 'bass' site, aren't you?
  9. Yeah Ray, you're right.....I was just being a grouchy old man.
  10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.

I think Ray was addressing his comments elsewhere, ie

"You may note my impression that catagorization is dangerous."

Apparently categorization of things as "dangerous" or "safe" is not a dangerous categorization.
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

On http://www.christianmcbride.com/ it says :

"Upon graduating in 1989, McBride was awarded a partial scholarship to attend the world-renowned Juilliard School in New York City to study with the legendary bassist, Homer Mensch. That summer, before making the move to the Big Apple, McBride got his first taste of the touring life going to Europe with the Philadelphia Youth Orchestra, and also touring the U.S. with the 80's fusion group, Free Flight. He was now ready to tackle Juilliard and New York City."

I think that albums like "Sci FI" and the "Philadelphia Experiment", to take just two examples, certainly have tracks that are very much what I think of as "fusion" ? He's also said explicitly in interviews that he likes fusion and has put in the odd fusion track on his solo CDs, plus he has played quiet a bit with George Duke - who for me is like the "Godfather" of fusion....;)

Oh and he plays on the latest Diana Krall album!! :D
  12. I apologized Bruce......Also said I was "surprised" Thanks for the education though.
  13. bass_means_LOW

Apr 12, 2004
    Las Vegas
    correct and pragmatic.
  14. Bruce Lindfield

Oooer...sorry, I would say I'm thinking about Grandmothers and Eggs - but I don't want you to feel I'm being any more insulting!! :D

I suppose people work and live in many different musical worlds - recently I've listened to Christian McBride's last two solo albums a lot - especially in the car - and there is a lot of what I would call fusion. I was thinking of him spearheading a revival of fusion and I do like his electric stuff as well as DB and I was saying all that stuff up there, for the original poster, (Coleman?) who had asked about more electric bassists in Jazz to listen to.
  15. TJC

Jun 28, 2002
    Los Angeles
    While we are on electric bassists, I have to add:

Linley Marthe
    Etienne M'bappe
    Richard Bona
  16. Bruce, you can't insult me and if you were saying "all that stuff up there for the original poster" Why'd you bother using my quote.? For my part, I should keep my nose out of threads about electric bass guitars and fusion...not knowing a hell of alot about either. I'm not too sure how much you know either, since you seem to have to dig around the net for your info.
  17. Bruce Lindfield

Sorry -it was a mistake - I just quoted the last post that mentioned Christian McBride - didn't mean to be insulting to you - I'd just been listening to "Vertical Vision" in my car and thinking that this had some great bass playing and was a new, "contemporary" take on "fusion"! :)

But I've been insulted so much around here recently, I'm starting to doubt my own judgement - so look to other sources on the net, for verification....:meh:
  18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Bruce, you big DOO-DOO HEAD! Don't worry, I knew what you meant. I was thinking of hipping WARMBUTTOCKS to "Vertical Vision" myself, but I've been busy and you beat me to the punch. Welcome back to the curmudgeonly fold, such as it is. :bag: