1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jazz neck on p bass body

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Isaac879695, Sep 7, 2019.

1. Isaac879695

Isaac879695

May 5, 2019
    I just got the fender fsr 2018 70's p bass and I love it but the neck still just doesn't work with me and I have a made in Mexico jazz neck. My question is would putting the jazz neck on the p body change the tone of it?

2. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    Same fretboard wood?

If they are the same and the new neck is just a little chunkier, it may fatten the sound ever so slightly, but prob not noticeably to most people

DJ Bebop and Wisebass like this.
  3. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    In other words probably not adversely either

4. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Yes it will. How much? You will never know until till you try.

SJan3 and Wisebass like this.
  5. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Isaac :)

:D

yodanotry.

Now take a screwdriver… :D And we will know! :hyper:

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

6. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Supporting Member

It would, but not enough for anyone to notice. Unless you put a rattly, buzzy, bowed neck on, of course.

Most people put jazz necks on Ps for the playability. Tonal differences will come from easier fingering and more control, which people then attribute to the neck rather than subtly improved playing.

7. Nikkitta

Nikkitta

Aug 20, 2019
    +1
    [​IMG]

8. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    In my experience with neck swapping it might change the tone. Whether any change you may notice is for the better or not is subjective.

Kaplan likes this.
  9. If you're not connected with the bass and it's sound like you would be having it for decades then go for it! It'll change it a minuscule amount, not enough to notice. Especially if you're not well acquainted with it. I personally much rather the jazz neck or a P or a J. Have fun 8)

10. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Oh God Yes!:woot:

GrapeBass, Wisebass and Kaplan like this.
  11. AcridSaint

AcridSaint ベーシスト Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2012
    Raleigh
    I don't play well.
    Get the setups as close as possible and I think you will not find a huge difference. It will change, even two identical looking necks will be slightly different, but is it a difference you can hear in the mix? Almost certainly not.

But, an alternate suggestion: just keep playing the P neck. I have jazz neck preference as well, but after playing enough different basses, it really doesn't bother me any more to play on any profile.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  12. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    Almost any difference will have some impact on the tone. Positive or negative, that's up for you to decide.

Would an audience notice and think, "gee... that bass had more life in it with the other neck"? If they did, I want to move to this Shangri-La where people even know what bass is!

If it feels better, go for it!

13. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    Don't do it! It will make your bass sound like Diana Krall playing Miles Davis' trumpet.

14. TBPlayerOC

TBPlayerOC

Oct 17, 2013
    Orange, CA
    I have two P basses that have Jazz necks. My number 1 is a honey burst FSR that I put a Geddy neck on it. Plays fantastic and there was a slight tonal difference. My other P is a parts bass and it plays and sounds great.

I would suggest swapping the necks and see which one you like better.

Rezdog likes this.
  15. Bassamatic

Bassamatic keepin' the beat since the 60's Supporting Member

Ridiculous! No change. I have done it. I put a really nice Mighty Mite bound and blocked J neck on my MIA P and it sounds EXACTLY the same.

The difference may be that you will play the thinner neck differently.

16. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If there is any change, it won't be enough to be noticed. I've had a P neck on my J for 35 years.

17. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    New York
    It might slightly, but you might or might not notice the difference. It will still sound like a P bass. All my P basses have J necks. Fender made P basses w/ J necks back in the 70's.

El Thumpo likes this.
  18. You’ll probably have an uncontrollable urge to slap and pop if you do.

cratz2 likes this.
  19. Williethump

Williethump

Sep 10, 2017
    Depends on the neck thickness and shape of the basses you learned on. I bought Ibanez basses early so I sort of prefer narrower Jazz type necks.
    I even bought a Kmise Jazz style neck to put on a cheap Behringer P style bass.
    But really, keep the wider P neck and play it. Width won't bother you after a while and you might end up liking the extra real estate.
    Upgrading my bass, I bought a MIJ P bass and after a month I can switch off basses and now hardly notice the wider neck on the P- bass.

chupacerveza likes this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I changed out the stock neck on an MIM Precision for an MIM Precision Bass Special (Jazz spec'd).

IMG_20190617_174015980.

Tone wise, didn't really notice any change, in the bass...

... but, after changing necks, I did notice people commenting on how I now sound like Barry White.

So I got that going for me.