jazz settings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Jul 17, 2005.

1. How do you set your jazz bass? Neck pick up or bridge pick up? For what style of music? :help:
  2. squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    Well, for classic rock, it's mostly both pickups on full or a little more neck. For punk its tone all the way up, and bridge all the way up, no neck. Almost the same with funk, i add a little neck.
  3. IMO, 99% of all passive basses sound best with everything dimed. Make tone adjustments at the amp.
  4. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España
    lowering the bridge p-up 30% to get some deep growl, then i just add tube drive like 60% of the svp-pro and it sounds crispy and deep, I play progresive with that bass and it cuts enough for a MIM jazz...
  5. angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    Here's how I set my Jazz to suit the tune I'm play at the moment :
    1."Classic Rock (John Paul Jones) and Motown/Old School R&B tone"- Front pickup only, roll off tone knob 1/2 way. Play with a heavy dose of right and/or left hand muting.
    2. "Heavy Handed Rock Grind"- Front pickup, tone all the way up. Play over the front pickup or with a pick.
    3."Modern Slap Style"- both pickups on full, tone on full (preferably newer strings). Thump away.
    4. "Faux Fretless"- bridge pickup only. Roll off tone knob 1/4 to1/2. Slightly bend key notes in your phrases.
    This is just a small sample of how you can manipulate Uncle Leo's incredibly versatile design. You can find a number of other useful tones by blending the 2 pickups together to varying degrees. ENJOY!!!!
  6. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    What he said :D
  7. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Neck pickup rolled off a bit, bridge pickup full on, and tone almost all the way off.
  8. I usually use either 50/50 bridge and neck, or 75% bridge, which is my current setting. I keep the knobs usually around the same on my bass, sometimes i adjust a little, but i do most of my eqing through my amp, which has parametrics for the mids which i love.
  9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    nice thread,in my stolen jazz in reggae vibes,i remember i set the bridge 50% and neck full,and groove like a stone
  10. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    mine was fretted,never have fretles but some day i have one.
  11. alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    On my fretted for most stuff and slap playing, tone all the way up the both PU set equal. For finger style blues stuff I roll back the neck PU a bit.

On my fretless, I roll back the tone a bit just to take some of the edge off and set the neck PU a 1/4 back from where ever the bridge PU is...
  12. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Neck // Bridge
    100% // 100% for most stuff
    100% // 0-50% for walking
    0-50% // 100% for Jaco-like stuff
  13. Guess I'm the wierd one again.

Full bridge on all the time. Neck pickup either completely off, or about 15% on, just to add some depth, depending on the overall volume and my mood. And the tone about 50-60%. Just enough to keep the dynamics, and still add the bass.

I've yet to find a place where that tone doesn't fit.

Remember, those settings are the property of Boogie Man Inc. and as such, royalties will be paid upon any use and experiementation with the standards mentioned above. Any unauthorized usage of said settings will result in fines, penalties, and bad things said behind your back :D
  14. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    My bridge pickup is always on full, on both my fretted and fretless. I like the neck on full too, but sometimes the room is too boomy for that; I adjust accordingly, but it's always at least halfway on.