1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Jeff Beck and Tal... together

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Yango, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Hutch1

Hutch1

Mar 19, 2009
    Twin Cities, MN
    For the love of Pete Wentz, WILL THESE TAL THREADS NEVER END???!!!

There should be a new website: www.talktal.com

2. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    I have the JB live DVD from Ronnie Scott's, and I love it. Great, musical performance all around.

As for Tal, I think she's a great player and a perfect fit for JB band. She seems to have just enough attitude, something too many of us geezers lost years ago, at least I know I did. It's refreshing to see, and a joy to listen to IMO.

(Hutch1, trust me, I'm the #1 thread killer on TB. You can thank me later)

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I love the pathetic whining envy these threads continue to bring. But hey, share the love, you guys with withered, uh, sensibilities. Get generous! There's that Julie Slick who's playing with Adrian Belew too, you know ; }

4. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA
    Oh Yeah. right, she's not at all good right here,

She's incredible.

5. Bruins29

Bruins29

Jun 7, 2009
    Houston
    You think that is incredible? I think she is a very good to great player. If this is incredible what do you think of Manring, Nitti, Wotten etc...?

6. Mrdak

Mrdak uber bass geek baby!

Feb 1, 2006
    Middle GA

Those guys are also incredible! Just older and let's just say, more seasoned. What is she, 21? 22?.... yeah that's incredible.

7. pmcd

pmcd

Feb 22, 2006
    Denver,CO
    Perhaps I'm missing your point, but that seems like kind of an unfair comparison. You would NEVER see any of the players mentioned above playing on a gig with Jeff Beck and/or Vinnie Colaiuta.

Those guys largely make their living playing for other bass players, not that there is anything wrong with that. I see Tal's scope and appeal being much larger, regardless of how she plays in comparison to the above mentioned players.

8. Bruins29

Bruins29

Jun 7, 2009
    Houston
    My point? Well, you just made it. While you think its unfair to compare Tal to the guys I mentioned, I think its a little bit of a stretch to compare her to "incredible." While I think she is great and could go on to be incredible (some think she is there already) I dont personally see her there yet. Granted she has accomplished a ton for her age but while she is young (23) she has now been playing for at least 8 years if not 9. Getting to where she is talent wise in that period of time is nothing earth shattering IMO. If she was 17, that would be pretty mind blowing

Also, I think Jeff is a smart guy. Funny how nobody was talking about him and now that Tal is in the band its the hot topic everywhere. You dont think he figured briging in Tal would get him some attention? He accomplished his mission becasue he got his player and in the process got a ton of attention because of who the player was. Brilliant!

Also, I have zero issue with her. I dont think she does anything special but she can play and will probably develop into a better player because she is getting quality gigs.. I can see why people here get a little defensive about her though...

9. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    IMHO, Beck has really never seemed to be a attention hound, I really don't see that as the reason he uses Tal. Besides being a great player, she probably is a great hang.

10. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Yeah, and anyway, it isn't like he hasn't had a woman in his band before. Guitar forums talked about that last time around.

But I mean, how dare he not have _insert_name_ in his band instead! Doesn't he realize the message he is sending to zealots everywhere?!?

11. Hamrhed

Hamrhed

Dec 26, 2007
    Ky
    When first I put on "Live at Ronnie Scott's"- I thought that it was cute that her sadowsky was bigger than her :)

Then I heard her solo on "Cause we've ended as lovers" :eek:

I'll bet she is easily better than 99% of the drivel posters here... and so what if she is prettier than 100% of them!

12. The math here doesn't add up. If Tal switched to bass at 17 and is now 23, that is 6 years on bass not 8 or 9. I'm not sure how you came up with those numbers :/

She was already sitting in and impressing bigtime players at 18 and 19. (Only 2 years on bass)

Tal has been a regular player in Jeff's band for at least 2 years which
    means she scored that gig at 21 after only playing bass for 4 years.
    "mind blowing" yet? I think so. :)

Your saying it took her 8 or 9 years to get where she's at? Sorry but that's just not correct. Not even close.

13. I dont see the point in people adding their 2cents to a thread about a particular musician just to say that they are mediocre or not as good as A or B.

There's no need to put artists on a scale and only worship the one at the top. When people start bringing these silly comparisons its questionable as to what values they hold in bass playing.

14. I agree completely.

I think some people try really hard to minimize her accomplishments and try to convince everyone else that she's not worthy with false "facts" and irrelevant comparisons.

I don't see the point in that.

15. IBTL

D.Don

16. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Yep, I think Tal's playing on that clip was incredible.

A few months ago I had the great luck to sit five feet from the stage while Michael Manring performed. He was incredible, yes. He is a musical genius, no doubt. (He also seemed to be an incredibly nice person when my wife and I talked to him at the break and after the show, BTW)

Here's the thing, if Tal played in multiple tunings like Manring, or played quarter tones on a fretless as he does at times, is that what it would take for you to think she is incredible? Can't she just be herself, play her own unique and wonderful style, and still be incredible?

17. Oh how I love these threads!!

I wonder if there would have been such a mob if it was a John and not a Tal ...

:D

D.Don

18. Bruins29

Bruins29

Jun 7, 2009
    Houston
    Why is it such a big deal if I dont think Tal is "incredible" and reserve it for true virtuossos? I was not even comparing her to the guys I mentioned even though that straw man argument was started to protect her from just that. I think Wooten is incredible and has influenced me to look at the bass differently. Tal is a great player but I dont see anything awe inspiring...So f-ing what? Some people here think she is a bass god. Some people here think Roger Waters is.....Oh well.

I said I had zero issue with her and that I think she is a great player. Why are people so defensive about her? The only really stupid thing that was said was mentioning that she was better than 99% of the posters here. Who cares! Yeah, I am sure there are some posters here that are jealous of anyone elses success regardless of age, skill, gigs, whatever. You dont have to go overboard to compensate for that.

19. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I didn't mean to cut down your opinion, sorry if it came off that way. It's totally cool for you to think whatever you want, we just have different standards for what is incredible. :)

I just get tired of the idea that you have to have a certain technical virtuosity, like being able to play non-stop 32nd notes or whatever, to be considered an incredible player. To me, if it sounds good and moves me, that's incredible playing. I think the emotion and feel of the music are a lot more important than the technical aspects.

20. Been following this thread since it started, but no longer. I for one have a life outside of whether Tal Wilkenfeld can actually play her instrument (which she clearly can), and whether JB exercised good judgement in choosing her (Sales of the Ronnie Scott's CD would suggest he did - and isn't it his business anyway!).

Get over it guys! :rollno: