1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jeff Berlin Discussing Music Ed Part II

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
  2. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Was the other thread getting too long? Is this why you closed it? You're the boss, but I was just wondering.

3. stonedmotus

stonedmotus

Dec 10, 2009
    hey jeff, to me you're a true master of the bass. thanks for the inspiration.

4. Peter Weil

Peter Weil Seeker of The New Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Guess the other thread was getting too long.

Thanks Jeff for clearing up the small matter about the Chord Studies book. There's not many been many instances where I have needed to wonder about the note; usually, as you say, it's easy to work it out from the chord tones, tensions, or it is clearly a passing tone.

5. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Based on this conversation, I just got a copy of Chord Studies. Since I'm working on both my musical knowledge and my reading skills, it's a nice package. Just arrived today, and I just started working on it. Thanks.

6. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    They usually lock the thread at 1000 posts and that one went a little over. So they start part two.

7. CoffeeJanitor

CoffeeJanitor

Jun 4, 2009
    So.

I have been transcribing Paul Chambers' bassline on So What, and I was wondering, do you think that, for someone who is a beginning transcriber, I should use a piano or my bass has a reference point? I do not have a very developed ear yet so I kind of need an instrument to be able to check what I'm writing for accuracy (and I check extremely often when I'm transcribing).

I have been using my keyboard as I think that this is a musical activity, not one that is limited to my studies on the electric bass. I figure I can just play the part back by reading the music.

I'm new to transcribing so does this sound right on or no?

8. eggfan

eggfan

Sep 20, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    I was thinking of posing this same general question - thanks.

9. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I think transcribers of every level use an instrument to check against what was heard. Often that instrument is the voice, singing back what was heard to determine if what was sung sounds like what was heard.

Also as a beginner you may have to listen to things over and over and over to determine what was heard. Transcribing is a tedious process.

10. Eminentbass

Eminentbass

Jun 7, 2006
    South Africa
    Endorsing Artist: Ashdown Amps and Sandberg Basses.
    Thanks Jeff, i would love nothing more to make the trek from South Africa to do some one on one lessons in Clearwater but it's something that will take a while to accomplish. I studied music at a time when the local university was just developing their jazz curriculum, so the bulk of theory we studied was classically based and i had to study jazz guitar as my instrument because there was no bass teacher available. By the way, as a beginner years ago, it was a copy of your instructional video that somebody lent me that opened my eyes to what could be done on a bass and introduced me to the theoretical aspects that made me more hungry for improvement.

11. engedi1

engedi1

Sep 16, 2005
    Nashville
    When I transcribe lines, I like to have the bass handy, since that is the instrument I am hoping to play these lines on. May I also suggest you check out Ray Brown on Oscar Pettersons "We get Requests" The bass come through much clearer than on Kind of Blue and may be easier to hear to transcribe. Also, Ray's playing on this album is SO tasty. You'll love it.

12. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey Jeff,

just to keep things clean here, when a thread gets to 1,000 posts, we lock it and open up a part two.

13. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Sometimes experience this; other times it's almost as relaxing as meditating. And exciting, knowing that I'll be able to nail a new part. Please don't laugh- I transcribed Barry White's You're My Everything note for note once; played it when the tune was called at a jam I was bass player at, and all were appreciative of the bass clearly defining a tune (and locking up with a savvy drummer) that some onstage didn't really know.

14. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany
    Hi Jeff,

i just watched your online lesson on facebook.

any chance you´ll be doing another one???

peace bench

15. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    If anybody wishes to practice transcription, the best idea is to find two bar melodies, some simple stuff and have someone play them for you to write out. A tape system is a good way to do this, but the music has to be harmonically correct and probably a bit simple to get used to doing this kind of work.

16. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    I don't remember doing a lesson for Facebook. Was it a lecture or a proper lesson that I did???

17. JeffBerlin

JeffBerlin Guest

Jan 10, 2009
    Next time try a Jim Hall solo. Don't transcribe pop music except to imitate what you hear from the players. Transcriptions should enlighten one, to stimulate one's sense of harmony, melody and rhythm. Melodic players do this best for guys who wish to know how they operate at the subconcious level.

18. bass12

bass12 Say "Ahhh"... Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    I've been meaning to find myself a teacher who could lead me in the right direction regarding jazz harmony. Seeing some of the posts on here yesterday gave me a kick in the pants and I've just spoken to someone at a local university about getting me some names of potential teachers. I was thinking that someone with a background in jazz piano would be good for me (I need music lessons, not bass lessons). Any thoughts, Jeff?

19. CDweller

CDweller

Oct 24, 2009
    Clearwater, FL
    Ok, first stop is Sonny Rollins' The Bridge, unless a better idea is suggested.

20. bench

bench

Dec 28, 2007
    Germany

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.