John Entwistle Solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JohnnyMan, Mar 20, 2006.

1. I apologize if this has been posted or discussed before. I did a John Entwistle search in this section and I did not come up with anything so I thought I would share this find.

I am a big-time Entwistle fan and I love to see these types of recordings.
  2. Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I've seen one other Entwistle solo before but not this one. That was pretty cool. I don't like the bass he's using though. The roman numeral inlays are cool but the body shape is ugly IMO. He's definitely a damn good bass player though.
  3. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    the song "blue orchid", sounds a bit similar to that solo.

anyway, great solo
  4. seventhson

seventhson Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    That's a Warwick Buzzard ( I don't own one, but i'm starting to take a shine to it. Probably because the Ox played

It takes a while to warm up to, but it's the only Warwick shape that I like.
  5. I'd love to own a buzzard but the Entwistle model is $7K. That's a hard swallow even for me (let alone trying to convince my wife about me needing this guitar).
  6. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005

tell her it also works as a can opener:D

seventhson, your link doesnt work, it has a bracket in it
  7. If I told her that she would try to open a can with it just for spite.:D

It would be quite a scene to see me passed out on the floor after seeing my brand-new bass opening a can of home-made chunky soup!
  8. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
    It's actually a Status Buzzard. Earlier he used a Warwick but then switched to all-graphite Status. Same body shape 'though.
  9. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    Iv seen that other video of him playing which was great, it wasnt just a solo was a whole song with a bass solo inside:)although it seemed to be cut in half lol. I really like the sound he gets in this video and the other video. The more I see him play the more im liking him. Bring on more of these videos!
  10. PhR

Dec 13, 2005
  11. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    these look excellent, loading them up now. I had to play Wont Get Fooled Again at uni the other week. Excellent bass line and really fun to play:D
  12. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    :cool: Great solo but off to a slow start (may have even been better without the distortion on the whole time)...and yeah the Status basses are great sounding instruments...ALL HAIL Rob Green (the master).
  13. This solo is from the Who Live at Royal ALbert Hall dvd. the song he plays this solo in is 5:15. It's agreat video if you're a Who fan, which I am!!
  14. Man, this is awesome! Thanks for posting it!
  15. This is a song that I want the cover band that I'm in to play. They are mostly into "newer" hard rock such as Alice in Chains, Seether, STP, etc. I've always wanted to tackle this song and I should get off my butt and start learning it. I have always loved what Entwistle did with the bassline in it. Any video I have watched of him performing this has always increased my appreciation of his playing and contribution to rock music and rock bass guitar. OK Ok I'm a hard core Entwistle fan.
  16. seequeue

Feb 13, 2004
    I realize entwistle is worshipped among many bass players, but that solo was kinda meh
  17. basspunk2005

Jan 31, 2005
    England UK
    Well I have just placed an order for the Royal Albert Hall dvd:D £7.99 what a bargain. Ill say it again the more I watch John play the more im liking it. To the guy who thinks his solo was 'meh'. Everyone has their own tastes to what they like and dislike:)

Johnnyman, you need to learn that song its great to play. I had to play it about 15 times in 4 hours.(We get marked for our first performance, but as there is a lack of bass players on the course to the number of vocals, drums and guitars, we have to play the same song many times. With this I wanted to stay and play it 15 times:D)
  18. In some ways it sort of just went on, but it's a treat just to watch his technique! I loved that camera angle from the headstock. I'd like to see the whole solo from that angle just to watch his fingers!

Thanks, JohnnyMan!:bassist:
  19. basspunk2005, you're absolutely right. I know I know. And I will!! The band that I am in (we just started playing together in November, 2005) are up to having 27 songs learned and we have decided to add one more song per band member (5) and polish these before we move on to adding more songs. I am leaning very hard to making Won't Get Fooled Again as my pick. Then I will have no choice but to learn it.

15 times!! Your fingers must have been letting you know what you had done at the end of that set!!
  20. You're most welcome gottawalk.

I'm with you on enjoying the solo for his playing and style. If you don't have the Live at the Royal Albert Hall DVD, I strongly recommend that you get it. Just Entwistle's playing alone is worth the price and then, of course, there are those other guys in The Who.:D