1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

John Patitucci

Discussion in 'Bassists [DB]' started by Stratro, Mar 6, 2017.

1. I reaaly don`t know if there is a thread about JP.
    If there is, please reply with link, and delete this thread.
    If there isn`t, enjoy the content i`ll post here on a daily basis.
    (Records, solos, tutorials, interviews).

To me he`s No.1 both on 6 string electric bass and on upright bass.
    John-Patitucci.

John Patitucci Home Page

I can`t wait to see him perform live in Belgrade on 01.06.2017 with Chick Corea Elektric band.

nolezmaj, bass12 and peterpalmieri like this.
  2. Jloch86

Jloch86

Aug 1, 2016
    New Jersey
    Monster bass player, humble guy, great instructor, and fantastic ambassador for bassists all over the world.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    bass12, Treyzer, geoffbassist and 4 others like this.
  3. The two albums that affected my playing and forever changed the way i look at the bass...
    I remember having them on a cassette tape 20 years ago..listening to them on my walkman (lol) and in my car...all the time..24/7.
    MI0000715116.?partner=allrovi. MI0002156283.?partner=allrovi.

R-1821713-1245623811.jpeg.
    001ff2b7_medium.

Spin Doctor and tsheldon like this.
  4. His first record remains in my Top 10. Always loved his Ken Smith 6 sound.

Lee Moses likes this.
  5. DrayMiles

DrayMiles Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    East Coast
    A truly nice guy..Met him once in London...

6. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Jason Hollar and Leo Smith like this.
  7. tsheldon

tsheldon

Jun 20, 2005
    Western New York
    Back when I was in college I got to hang with JP for a while while he was there to do a clinic. Amazingly nice guy and humble.

While I love his earlier albums he's a guy who keeps getting better. His stuff with Wayne Shorter is astounding.

MrMyopia likes this.
  8. bassfacer22

bassfacer22 Supporting Member

really.. no Heart of bass and Mistura Fina mention!..

Personally, (and this may be odd) but I prefer his older stuff and don't care as much for the direction he is at now.. but he is so good either way.

and there is "on the corner" ! sheesh.. to many.. the old stuff though!

9. Personally, there isn`t i single album of JP that i dislike.
    I just pointed out the two albums that influenced me the most to pick up a 6 string bass 15 yrs ago and kinda try to do the stuff he does..

Here`s a small example of that effort....

Feel free to comment...

Lee Moses likes this.
  10. Moving on with an early recording taken from JP`s bass workshop, playing a Ken Smith 6 string bass..

I prefer his signature Yamaha sound which is crisp and clear..

Funny thing is, many modern solo oriented bassists including JP himself ended up chasing the (less treble, more middle) Ken Smith sound on the very same Yamaha TRB signature bass...not his latest one with hollow body.

11. bassfacer22

bassfacer22 Supporting Member

the funny thing is his principal instrument is the Upright bass too. There was some interview that he learned the 6-string electric bass on the airpline flying between gigs on tour with Chick Corea I believe it was..

He certainly helped push the Upright bass in the jazz territory for young bass players and all.

Stratro likes this.
  12. ...and he`s pretty good at playing with a bow too.
    I remember reading in an interview few years ago that he`s still attending classes from an 80 year old classical music bass player...Bow technique in specific..

As i said, there`s a good reason why he`s the best (and most complete) bass player of all..
    Not to mention his composing skills..

jharms80439 likes this.
  13. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY

jsf729, 834federal, dhm and 2 others like this.
  14. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I reviewed "Line By Line" when it came out ten years ago. Still stand by this statement:

Treyzer, Chris Fitzgerald and Stratro like this.
  15. MrMyopia

MrMyopia Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Little Rock AR
    Doesn't John's wife play cello or violin? Seems like I remember something about that.

16. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    Back when I was first learning about Jazz in the early 90s, John was one of "the new guys" I dug into. My faves are Mistura Fina, Imprint, Now, and Brooklyn, but I can find something good to say about everything I've heard from him. Heckuva musician for sure.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  17. Yes..his wife (Saachi I think) plays cello and I think they lost one child before birth ..He named the following album "One more angel" with that unfortunate tragedy in mind.

Meanwhile...more fresh news..

John Patitucci Looks to Brazil on His Elegant New Trio Album

Last edited: Mar 7, 2017
    bass12, jharms80439 and peterpalmieri like this.
  18. peterpalmieri

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    After rewatching that clinic at the Gage shop I realized I need some serious ear training work.

In the middle of working on intervals a good friend and old teach sent me a msg and said he just got a lesson slot with JP.

I also was in the process of having this bass built when John first appeared with his hollowbody, I copied his pickup choice

IMG_7448.JPG

To say the least I've been a big fan for a long time.

Jason Hollar and Stratro like this.
  19. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I had his first three tapes (yes, I bought the cassette tapes :)), but I never bought any of his solo material since then for whatever reason. I think I might need to do some catching up. Thanks for the good material in this thread.

Stratro likes this.
  20. While drinking my morning cofee i `d like to share some full concerts ...audio`s good.
    By that i mean the bass is louder than everything else.:smug:

Something from his earliest Elektric band years..

Chick Corea akoustic band, playing the repertoire from their 1989 album..(Bessy`s blues, Someday my prince will come..etc).

And ofc the Wayne Shorter collaboration...
    There are many full shows of these projects...

4 min Bonus...;)

peterpalmieri likes this.