John Paul Jones goes country

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by brianrost, May 4, 2004.

1. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Just got back from the Merlefest, a four day roots music festival held in Wilkesboro, NC every year.

Saturday night I was astonished to see John Paul Jones walk on stage with a mandolin to play with singer Gillian Welch on two tunes.

The next morning bassist John Cowan (ex New Grass Revival) wrapped up his band's set by inviting JPJ out to play bass on the NGR oldie "Calling Baton Rouge". In the middle they broke into "Dazed and Confused", complete with banjo, mandolin and fiddle solos.

Other great bassists spotted over the weekend: Edgar Meyer played sets with Bela Fleck and Jerry Douglas plus a solo performance of the 1st Bach cello suite (!!) and while I missed the band introductions, it appeared (and sounded) like it was Willie Weeks playing with Vince Gill.
  2. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Jones and Welch? I would have paid to see that. Jones is a heavy talent, no doubt. How did Gillian sound? I used to be in some classes with her at Berklee. I have not heard her preform in a long time.....
  3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    sounds like a great time! maybe I'll plan a vacation around it next spring :cool:
  4. Curiously I was reading an interview with JPJ a couple of days ago where he talks about playing the mandolin:
    DM) What do you play when you sit at home?

JPJ) Mandolin. (Laughs)

DM) Mandolin? Are you serious?

JPJ) Yeah, it's a little instrument that fits great when you're watching TV.

DM) I just can't imagine you playing "Stairway" on the mandolin, watching TV.

JPJ) Well, "Stairway" on mandolin works, but "Zoomba" on mandolin is a bit more difficult.

DM) You're really destroying the "rock star" image by playing the mandolin. It doesn't fit the image.

JPJ) No, it doesn't, but who cares? But then again, being a rock star is my third career.
  5. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Damn, I would've given anything to see all that you have mentioned! I was wondering what happened to John Cowan. His name always comes to mind when someone asks, If you could sing like anyone, who would it be!!
  6. I'd love to watch him play...

Wish he would go on tour.