1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Jonesin' for a Tapper! (Stick / Warr / Megatar)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Illbay, Feb 28, 2008.

1. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Note: I said "tapper," not "tapir": [​IMG]

Just don't want any misunderstandings.

I have watched several YouTubes of guys playing the Chapman Stick and Warr guitar. I WANT ONE!

But GOOD GRIEF they cost a bundle! You gotta consider that the most expensive instrument I own presently is a $1000 Breedlove Atlas 12-String. I can't imagine paying nearly $3,000 bucks for something I *MIGHT* like, but *MIGHT NOT*!

But the notion of being able to essentially play the piano sitting in my office chair is compelling. And the thing just sounds so gorgeous!

I have searched, and can only find one or two for sale on eBay, at nearly-list price (even though they're used). I've decided I might just have to bite the bullet and order a new one, but then comes the question of which to get.

I am inclined toward the Stick, but the Warr and Megatar have points in their favor.

Anyone done in A/Bing on these things? How about the various kinds of Stick? I'm inclined toward the 12-string Grand, but could be persuaded to save a couple of hundred going in another direction.

Please, input!!!!:hyper:

2. They definitely seem like an interesting challenge. I'd like to get an instrument like one of them myself. I'm sure bass players like myself who love King Crimson (Tony Levin, Trey Gunn) have thought about the investment, but at the moment it doesn't make sense for me financially. Also like Alphonso Johnson's Stick lines and Colin from Talkbass' favorite band (Behold... The Arctopus) rocks the Warr nicely. Levin and Johnson show that even simple bass lines can sound amazing on the stick.

I'm in the same boat as you, but a heck on an investment for those with low (or no :meh:) incomes. I always got my dreams.

3. krappy guitars make a touchstyle guitar that is much cheaper--it might be worth a look :)

4. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Dude, I'm naming my next grandchild after you! You may well have solved the problem! This is as cool as anything I've ever come across. For a "mere" $800, that 12-banger's mine!

I'm going to order one this weekend.

Geez, they oughta pay you a "finder's fee" or somethin'!:)

5. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    make sure you are specific in what you want from that guy at krappy guitars...

6. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Have you dealt with them? What info do they require? It does seem remarkable that it appears *all* of their instruments are "one off" custom jobs.

7. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Illbay--I'm going to be selling my 2001 10-string PurpleHeart Chapman Stick very soon. I'm the original owner and it's as mint as a 7-year old instrument can be.

It has the Stickup (original) pickup and is tuned in Matched Reciprocal. It has Fret Rails, Flaps nut, truss rod, adjustable bridge and it's the 34" scale version. Hardshell case + a bunch of extras. PM me if you're interested.

8. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Okay, folks, I already have sprung for the Krappy Guitars Touchstyle. I want a 12-String version as close to a Chapman Grand Stick as is legally feasible.

Kevin at Krappy has already picked out the woods for the neck. Here they are like pretty maids all in a row:

Attached Files:

9. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Winston: Well, I think for now my appetite is sated by the birth of Krap, but I would like to know a couple of things.

1) Why are you selling?

2) How much did you play it?

3) Did you find it worthwhile to learn to play, or just not worth the bother?

Thanks.

10. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Decided I'm gonna call it "The Krapman Schtick."

11. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    i am no customer, but from hanging around a few epopel that have em or even a wishbass. they say the more specific you are, the less chance they add stuff in there that they want...and the less disappointed you will be, get me?

12. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    1) Just not playing it much. Got it in 2001. Started playing acoustic upright bass in 2003. That gave me a bunch of new gig opportunities and became my main non-bass guitar instrument.

2) Played it almost everyday for two years. Lives under my bed--since getting the upright I take the Stick out every few months.

3) I found it worthwhile--it really helped my understanding of L/R hand independence/interdependence. The two separate sets of strings/tunings are logical but put you in a different headspace. I felt to really give it the time it needed would have meant quitting other instruments, and I'm not ready to do that. Right now I'd rather work on ideas with the tools I know than mastering a new interface.

Hope this helps--happy tapping!

13. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    That was my tale exactly. Mine collected dust when I realized that a double bassist needs to practice daily in order to make a living at it (been a DBist for many years, but there's never a time when you're "good enough"). Also, it occurred to me that I already got around well on piano, which for me is a much more efficient way of getting to a whole bunch of music in short order.

14. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Here's the latest progress from Kevin Siebold at Krappy Guitars. He has come up with a "nice piece of cherry with a swirly grain pattern" for the Krapman Schtick's fingerboard:

Attached Files:

15. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    My problem is, I know so little about these things, have never even SEEN one, that I don't even know WHAT to ask for. I am relying on the YouTube videos I have seen and heard, which lead me to believe that the thing would be a good instrument to learn on at least.

If I REALLY get into it, I'll order a Chapman Stick. I'm already saving up for a little fund for purchasing something along those lines come Summer's end.

16. heh, glad I could help :)

17. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Cool to see one in utero. I'd like to get a Krappy 10 string eventually, once I can scrape together the funds. I think it'll be a good solo instrument, and will open up lots of possibilities for playing live in my hometown.

18. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Just curious: Why do you think that will make for live playing possibilities? Is it because you basically have about half to two-thirds of a band in your hands?

19. Illbay

Illbay

Jan 15, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Oh, and I meant to ask any interested parties: What do you think about "cherry" for a fretboard?

20. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    hey dude, sorry if i just cant find it in the thread muk, but how much are you paying for the tapper?