Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Joy Spring - Eb? F?

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by Dave Speranza, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Dave Speranza

Dave Speranza Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Brooklyn, NY
    I have Clifford Brown playing the tune in Eb, but every real book seems to have the tune in F. What key is the song typically played in? Why the discrepancy?

Thanks

2. Brent Nussey

Brent Nussey

Jun 27, 2001
    Tokyo, Japan
    I'd be interested to know which recording of Clifford Brown playing the tune you're talking about. The original version on "Clifford Brown and Max Roach" is most certainly in F. The only instrumental recording I have of the tune in another key than that is Oscar Peterson doing it in A, recorded live at the Newport Jazz Festival. I used to have a version by the Manhattan Transfer that I think was in another key, and I bet Jon Hendricks' version might be in a different key, but those would be because they're vocal versions.

In any case, I think the tune is rarely played as an instrumental in another key than F.

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    But moving around from the "usually played" is kinda fun, right?

4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Yeah! Like, for instance, I throw in the occasional bar of 5/4 in a waltz -- just to keep it interesting :)

5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Manhattan Trasfer playing Joy Spring...I just threw up in my mouth a little bit...

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Get me your address so that I can send you the bill for cleaning the snot outta my keyboard...

7. ACK!! Me too!