JOYO BaDass Bantamp Tube Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by smtp4me, Oct 20, 2021.

1. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Has anyone heard of, or better yet, has anyone played one of these?

JOYO BaDass Bantamp
    http://www.joyoaudio.com/product/222.html

It was featured in a Bass Magazine article back in August. I reached out to the company to find out if it will work in my home studio. I do not own a cabinet, and would rather not get one right now. My most common use case would be to run from the amp into the 1/4 input on my audio interface (Apogee Element). But... the amp does not have a DI.

I asked the company's tech support if/how it would work direct into the audio interface and without a cabinet. Their response was to try the effects output jack.

I understand the best source of information is the manufacturer, but I thought I would try TB as well, since there are more than a few experts (including those who work for amp companies).

Any ideas? I figured the standard speaker output might not be good - maybe the headphone output, or the effects output mentioned??

mb94952 likes this.
  2. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    If that is a tube amp, it has to have a speaker load. I learned this the hard way years ago.

SixtyCycleHum, tindrum and smtp4me like this.
  3. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    It has a tube preamp, but a class D solid state power amp.

HolmeBass and David76112 like this.
  4. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    Just get a tube preamp of some variety if that is the sound your seeking.

AudioTaper and smtp4me like this.
  5. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Effects send is just a line signal, maybe use that?

6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    As it is a solid state amp, it will operate fine with no speaker load.
    Since JOYO isn't saying what the Effects loop output characteristics are, it's a crapshoot whether it will work with a recording interface, but it's likely to suffice.

The headphone out might be too hot for a recording interface. Do not connect the speaker output to a recording interface!!!

I second the advice to get something else more appropriate for your application. You can go with a preamp or a solid state head with a DI, which would serve you once you do want to add a cabinet to your rig.

dkelley and smtp4me like this.
  7. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    Considering the company does not even list this product on their website, and the fact the website is just a mess of nothing information I would not count on this.

These things are what, $180?

I'd just add $50 to $100 to that and buy yourself a nice Sansamp RBI, you will thank me later.

This company just looks sketchy as hell, I would not depend on them for any product support.

Analogeezer

Justinian, DeltaPhoenix and 1960jbass like this.
  8. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Thanks. I thought of that, and I have a Tech 21 GED-2112 rack mount. In this case I wanted something with a real tube(s) and something that can be used with a cabinet at some point, if I need/want it to.

funkinbottom and David76112 like this.
  9. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    BADASS_JOYO (joyoaudio.com)

The Bantamp line of guitar amplifiers is very popular and has a decent reputation.
    It is the cheapest hybrid head that I know of, but misses the mark for recording without the DI and 50 watts isn't even enough for coffee shop jazz. So it's positioned for home practice and that's it.

10. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    Well silly me, I went to their website and clicked on "Bass Amps" because you know this is supposed to be a bass amp. LOL

You have to click on GUITAR AMPS to get to the amp referred to in the poster's question(s).

Like I said the website is a freaking mess, I was not going to peruse it for a long time to try and find the thing.

I don't get a warm and fuzzy feeling about their products, the wesbsite says it is their "75th Anniversary" but when you click on "about" you just get some generic stuff about the company.

It's cheap I will grant you that.....

Analogeezer

p.s. I looked at your link some more; I do LOVE the green color that is pretty cool.

But external PSU with a wall wart, that's kind of a buzzkill for an actual thing that is supposed to amplify.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2021
    Bass4Brkfast and smtp4me like this.
  11. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Get a used hybrid amp head or combo, then. A Genz-Benz Shuttle works well.

smtp4me likes this.
  12. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    I like the idea of the Shuttle or something similar, with the tube preamp, class D power amp, and more importantly a DI. I know that will work.

13. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Just looked at this vid. Check out around 3:45 - 3:50. It says its recorded from his effects sent into his interface. Sounds pretty killer to me. And I think this thing is less than $200?

14. smtp4me

smtp4me

Sep 30, 2013
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yeah. The sound vs. price seemed like a winner to me (bang for the buck).

15. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    expect the ampeg pf50T. that's the only all tube amp I know of that doesnt have to have a load. great amp

macmanlou, ColdEye, thombo and 2 others like this.
  16. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    If you don't plan on using it with a speaker, why not get a preamp pedal with DI? That way you have something that's built specifically for your purpose.

17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I would use the Bluetooth of the JoYo and then connect to the Apogee(great interface) with something like this Home

18. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    To answer your question, I have not used it, but the Joyo stuff, while originally considered bargain-bin junk, in recent years has developed a reputation for punching quite above its weight class as far as price goes.

19. As far as I know they are a Chinese company known to outright copy other people’s stuff.

20. Analogeezer

Analogeezer

Jul 29, 2021
    I tried editing my post but the edit did not take.

These things use an external PSU, not sure if it's a "lump in the middle" (likely) or wall wart but it's 24 volts/3 amps.

If you lose the original PSU or it goes bad good luck replacing it. That's a LOT of power for an external PSU.

Sure it's got a "toob" but not sure how this is incorporated into the design, it might just be in there to heat the insides up.

I know lots of cheap outboard gear (mic pres, channel strips and such) use a toob but they are usually starved plate designs where the toob doesn't really impart any "toobiness" to the tone.

Analogeezer

Joris 55 likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021