Joyo Dyna Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by takdriver, Apr 30, 2012.

1. takdriver

takdriver

Apr 15, 2012
    Has anybody tried the Joyo Compressor with their bass? At $40 shipped it seems to good to be true.

2. SeaWolf

SeaWolf

May 17, 2012
    It's a fantastic value. I got one a couple of weeks ago, and I've been blown away by how much it enhances my tone and presence.

The first thing you notice is it's practically noiseless - turning the sustain up produces a hiss so quiet it's worth mentioning only for perfectionists. I'm playing a four string single-humbucker Stingray copy, and there's no appreciable loss of low end like I was afraid of. You can get a significant amount of sustain, and the attack knob is perfect for finding the right amount of "punch" for your bass' output. The compressor gives a subtle but significant squash, but it's just what I was looking for to help me stand out in my blues-rock band (one guitar, drums, a vocalist and myself) and decrease muddiness while allowing me to reduce my overall volume a bit. It really increases your presence and clears your sound up.

From now on, I'm confident it's going to be an always-on effect. I've read that you can sometimes get a pedal with technical problems, but that's just a risk of buying anything mass-produced. I'd love to find a fuzz pedal near this price for bass as well - I'll have to see if Joyo (or Biyang, whose quality & price I've read similar things about and whose compressor I'd like to try as well) makes one suitable for bass playing. And I know some people hate the colors and graphics on these Chinese-made copies, but I think they're tons of fun - it's going to be a while before I buy another American-made pedal.

Laura Camacho likes this.
  3. At $40 is shouldn't hurt too bad if you don't like it. I'm sure you could get close to $40 for it in moderately used condition just because it's a functional pedal.

I have been really impressed woth the Joyo pedals I've tried. I did a review here on TB with bass sounclips on the Ultamit Octave. It's still a staple fuzz on my board that displaced my Green Russian big muff.

4. Aaron_D

Aaron_D

May 9, 2010
    Tallahassee, FL
    I was wondering if there were any other reviews of this compressor?

I actually have one and I agree it adds clarity, but Im not sure if I want to add something like this to my rig which already has several compressors...lol.

Im a sucker for compression. Would it be okay to use the joyo dyna comp for the sparkle it adds and then run your signal through other compressors?

Ive successfully done this for a while with the TLC and dbx160 as well as the mark bass compressore. The compressore adds this amazing warmth, the dbx adds punch and fatness...and Im thinking the ross style dynacomp might add some zing, but that just strikes me as overkill...but hey...you only live once.

5. gary ashall

gary ashall

Jul 27, 2010
    belfast
    glad i read this...i recently decided i needed a bass compressor so went out and bought a digitech bass squeeze and to get to the point without droning on..its a load of crap, absolutely useless,i mean it deffinately does not do what its supposed to. so i think before i go out and spend big money on a bass compressor i will try one of the joyo dyna compressors....at the low price it will be no great loss if i dont like it.

6. For what it's worth, I've had a Joyo Dyna Comp for probably a year or more, and last week I noticed distortion in my signal and it was my Dyna Comp. :(
    After turning the pots back and forth, it went away. Then it came back a few days later. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
    The real story is that it's not even worth complaining about. I got a year out of a $35 pedal that was awesome. I just ordered another one. We'll see how this one fares. I can live with replacing this pedal once a year if necessary. It hurts less to drop $35 than to spend real money on a comparable name-brand compressor, with no guarantee it will last any longer than the Joyo.

Jacob

Laura Camacho likes this.
  7. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    For future reference if anyone is still looking for a bass specific demo:

zapped777 and Matt Wilson like this.
  8. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Does anyone here have any thoughts on comparing this to a Boss LMB-3? Things such as how much tone coloration is going on (if any?), low end feel, or anything else worth mentioning in direct comparison to the LMB-3.

9. My Joyo Comp died after about two weeks! It was working fine and then one day I turned it on and it killed the signal. Tried different battery and AC power. Nothing! It was only $28 on EBay so it wasn't a big loss. I have read a couple of reviews on the Biyang CO-8 comp that say it is a good inexpensive compressor. I may give it a try.

10. I've been using a Joyo Dyna Comp for almost the past year. This has been my first foray into the world compressors and I have to say that for the $30 I paid for it I don't have many complaints! Just recently I was able to listen back to a live recording I did in September with it which really showed me what it does in a live band setting. It does squash a fair amount but I happened to really dig it. I've always loved that super squashed Tony Levin sound and I was able to get sort of close to that without trying too hard. I play with an acoustic guitarist (who ironically had the chance to record with Tony Levin a few months back) who does a lot of two hand tapping ala Michael Hedges and Kaki King and I noticed that the squashed sound really blended well with her sound! Nice and tight with still well defined lows, for me anyways. While yes I am currently looking to upgrade to a better and more versatile compressor now (I'm on the waiting list for a FEA DE-CL and am considering the Keeley Compressor Pro) I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Joyo to anyone who digs a super squashed sound and/or is new to the world of comps and doesn't want to spend a lot right off the bat.

11. Sputnik Monroe

Sputnik Monroe

Feb 11, 2014
    Picked up my 1st Joyo comp for $20 used and found it holds up well to my Boss LMB3 and EBS Multicomp its small easy to use and goes right in my gig bag. Liked it so well I bought a second one for $10 (just in case) but both have worked flawlessly on many gigs. It's great to punch up your signal live and I use it to push my VOX Ice 9 overdrive pedal those two pedals are my go to sound on most gigs ...

12. AndreasK

AndreasK

Jun 11, 2014
    Northern Norway
    I´m starting to think I had a faulty unit. Apart from it changing my dynamics slightly going into my dirt, I couldn´t really tel mine was on. Both at home with headphones and with my band. Just got a EBS MultiComp and that's a whole different story. Loving it! But then I usually do the 1.st few weeks:roflmao:

13. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Does anyone know what circuit this Joyo is a clone of?

14. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Bog-standard Dynacomp.

15. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    Well color me confused then. I got the Joyo Dyna Compressor with GIANT expectations after reading everything about them. I was very disappointed. I pulled it out and did a simple test of just running my active Carvin through it straight to the board. It actually seemed to suck my tone out. I tried everything. I know it wasn't a defective pedal because Amazon messed up and actually sent me TWO pedals and they both did the same thing. Is it a case of where it is supposed to go in the chain? At this point I'm using a Boss ME-20B, a Digitech Bass Synth Wah, and a Hartke VXL Bass Attack.

I run everything into an Ashdown ABM500. Should I try running the Joyo through the effects loop? I haven't even touched it since the day I got it. LOL

16. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    How loud is the output of your bass? I noticed it worked much better and less harsh with softer input levels.

Shardik likes this.
  17. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    It's just a standard Carvin mid-90's active circuit. The main thing I observed it is removed the bottom end and "fullness" of the sound quite a bit. I guess my philosophy is I shouldn't have to EQ something else in my chain to make up for something that is degrading the signal. A good bass compressor should give you more punch in your tone - not remove it.

18. adamaarts

adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    It's been discussed, but yea, compressors (imo any bass effect) should have an input gain control. It's crazy how different basses act at different volume levels. Most of my pedals react nicer when I roll my volume knob back, which seems counter intuitive to getting the best signal possible.

I got rid of my dyna comp a long time ago, so I feel your pain.

19. jwilson67

jwilson67

Jun 2, 2015
    San Dimas, CA
    To this day (30 years) I still haven't met a compressor that I like. Maybe compression just isn't the sound I'm looking for or need. I set up a channel on my Boss ME-20B that has compression and I find myself never using it because the notes just completely get lost in the mix - no matter how I change the parameters. I guess I just like the sound my fingers produce naturally better! :)

Anyway - now I've got my eye on an MXR Blowtorch/Digitech Bass Synth/Wah combo and getting rid of the ME-20B.

20. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    "I bought a plastic tricycle and it just doesn't hit the highway speeds I was hoping for. In 30 years I haven't gotten high road performance from any cheap tricycle. I guess I prefer walking." :)

JensCambre likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021