1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Julius Farmer

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by barroso, Jan 15, 2004.

1. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    I would love to know if anyone here knows the late and great Julius Farmer.

I love his playing.

Squittolo likes this.
  2. Julius and I were good friends in New Orleans back in the early 1970s.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    The Wild Magnolias just got cycled through my CD stack after a long time, it's insane how overlooked this cat is.
    Awesome stuff!

Squittolo likes this.
  4. I don't know how old this thread is and .. I don't care ... Julius has made a lot of 70s Italian albums great with his playing ... check out the contaminated jazz of Fabio Concato's early vinils ...

Squittolo and Pier_ like this.
  5. His Fretless PJ bass and his jazz have a very distinctive and punchy sound ... truly underrated

Squittolo likes this.
  6. Pier_

Pier_

Dec 22, 2013
    Roma, Italia
    my favourite is always "L'era del cinghiale bianco" by Franco Battiato. tracks like "stranizza d'amuri" and "Il re del mondo" have som wonderful bass sounds and playing, with a precise, middy and smooth sound, the perfect phrasing and everything you might want from a bass in a pop album.

7. Faglielo capi' a sti Americani ... ehm ...

Squittolo likes this.
  8. Curley Shadow

Curley Shadow

Oct 16, 2009
    Hello I am George S Thompson in Baton Rouge Louisiana, Julius’s home town . Julius Farmer was older than me (by a few years)and he was a big influence. There is a Facebook site called Julius Farmer bass player wealth of information there also here’s a couple of links:

9. Axen...

Curley Shadow and Squittolo like this.
  10. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Wow! Totally unaware until this moment. Listening to the recording of "Freddie the Freeloader" on the "Jazz From Italy" record. He sure does settle the argument about whether the electric bass is a legit jazz instrument.

jerry likes this.
  11. Curley Shadow

Curley Shadow

Oct 16, 2009
    Below
    is mostly American discography; impressive given the many years he spent in Italy-some of these are New Orleans classics, I didn’t even know about the Italian stuff, just knew he had lived in Italy. I ran into Julius a few times after he moved back to south Louisiana in the 90’s.
    Julius Farmer | Credits | AllMusic

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  12. Curley Shadow

Curley Shadow

Oct 16, 2009
    Obituary in Offbeat, New Orleans music magazine : Julius Farmer

13. Curley Shadow

Curley Shadow

Oct 16, 2009
    I admire Julius greatly. I first saw him play jazz in my teens at LSU and it literally changed my life, I seriously pursued bass playing after that although I ended up more a symphonic player. I can’t tell you how much I admire and respect Julius’s genius.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  14. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    That is off the hook badass!!!

15. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    love the wild magnolias stuff, RIP

16. Didn’t know he also played in the Pino Daniele band at the beginning of the 80s

Cheers.