1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just a thought process....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xxfaux_punkxx, Apr 10, 2010.

1. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    So I bought my Traben back in january. I love it. It feels great, really smooth in my hands. I love the tone it puts out. Looks beautiful..... but I'm starting to wish I had tried out more basses before I made the purchase. I didn't get the chance to because of where I lived.

Now here it is 4 months later. I'm still loving my bass but reading about all the other basses out there is making me wish I had something else, or at least tried a bunch of different stuff out so I knew for sure I bought what I wanted.

Anyone else ever go through this?

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    So you're asking if anyone on TB has ever had gas? Gimme a break.

3. MooseLumps

MooseLumps Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    It's GAS. I have to take periodic breaks form Talkbass or I spend money on stuff I can't even fit in my house.

In short, it's just the anticipation of the thing. If you love what you have, then wear the thing out. Eventually you will be in a position to try out more stuff and see if there's something else for you out there.

It's a very common malady on Talkbass, and may even be the reason Talkbass exists.

4. Rocky McD

Rocky McD

Jun 28, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Builder,mcdcustomguitars
    Yes, my first wife made me feel like that.:crying:

5. Nobody

Nobody Banned

Jul 14, 2004
    gravel

That's it. Can't say it any better than that.

OOD likes this.
  6. It's a fever. And the only prescription is to buy another bass.

7. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    lol... didn't even know what gas was until now. Yes I'm noob to the bass world.

8. MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    You could have spelled "from" correctly.

9. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Oh trust me I already have in mind what I want to buy but in order to afford it I'll need to sell my Traben.... which I know I'll regret and eventually own again.

10. You still have two kidneys don't ya?

11. MooseLumps

Nov 4, 2007
    Portland
    Save up. Not having to buy your bass back is a lot cheaper than just suffering a little while.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I can honestly say no I've never gone through this. I've played every instrument I've ever bought before purchasing it. That doesn't mean I don't suffer from GAS and want other goodies, but, even those other goodies are things I've played.

13. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    Cass I wish I had the luxioury of playing before paying. But where I live (and used to live) there was never any decent basses at the music stores. Only your basic squiers.

14. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX

There are TONS of music stores in the Noblesville/Indianapolis/Anderson area.

Sam Ash
    Guitar Center
    IRC Music
    Guitarworks
    Dans Music
    About Music
    Arthurs
    IPA
    BJ's Guitar Island
    Guitartown
    Six Strings Down

Etc, etc.

I've been gone from Indy for a few years, but I'm sure that most of those are still around. Some are better for bass gear than others, but Indy has plenty of places to try gear. I've seen everything from Squiers to Fodera's in these shops.

15. [​IMG]

16. wideyes

wideyes

May 9, 2007
    Eugene, OR
    In a way, TB is the best/worst thing that ever happened to my bass playing. With quick information comes quick dissatisfaction.

Cruise through the classifieds here on Talkbass. You can buy some fine used instruments, and if you end up not liking them, turn around and sell them on again for relatively little loss. It's the next best thing to being able to try 'em before you buy 'em.

17. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    But the main thing I would say is - if you really like your bass, keep it. Save to try something else, but selling something you know you like to try something you *think* you *might* like better - that way usually leads to a lot of pissed-away cash and frustration.
    Keep the one you like, and try others in addition.

18. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I'm going to have to look around. So far I've only seen Bj's guitar island where they had some off brand basses, nobelsville music center, and a gc. I've only been living here a month though and been pretty strapped for cash so I'm trying to avoid places that will take all my money.