1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just bought a digital bathroom scale...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Mar 20, 2009.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

...so I thought I'd share a more precise measurement of my basses' weight. I've posted that info before, but in "analog" format only. I guess this is a truer reading. First, here's the new toy:

Scale001.

Scale002.

I've set it to show results in kilograms plus 100 gram increments, but I'll convert them to lb. for you. Here's my fretted 5-string EBMM Bongo (HHP):

FrettedBongoweight.

4 kg. plus 500 grams = 9.92 lb.

My fretless 5-string EBMM Bongo (HHP):

FretlessBongoweight.

4 kg. plus 700 grams = 10.36 lb.

Rickenbacker 4003:

Ricweight.

3 kg. plus 800 grams = 8.37 lb.

And my Peavey T-40:

T40weight.

4 kg. plus 900 grams = 10.8 lb.

That's it, folks. Feel free to post your basses' weight one more time if you like. Thanks for reading!

P.S.: Notice that my T-40 isn't that heavy.

2. I used my digital bathroom scale to measure my 6 space rack vs my 2x10 cab. The cab was 63 pounds. The rack was 75!!

3. Man, my Jazz and my two P's a roughly 13-14 pounds a piece!:eyebrow:

4. olistorck

olistorck

Sep 16, 2007
    oviedo,spain
    So, how much do you weigh ??

5. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Warwick Proline Corvette -10ibs 3ozs.

G

6. kjpollo

kjpollo

Mar 17, 2008
    CT
    Lightest to heaviest:

ESP LTD B404- 7.6 lbs
    SX SPJ-62- 8.4 lbs
    Carvin LB-75- 8.8lbs
    Clement Custom- 9.6 lbs
    Schecter Riot 5 strg- 9.6 lbs
    Peavey T-40- 11.6 lbs!

7. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    My Dingwall ABI is 7lbs 15ozs

8. Sbociol

Sbociol

Feb 24, 2009
    ESP Horizon II : 8.82 libs
    Charvel Fusion V:9.26 libs
    Manne XLR Basic 5:11.02 libs

;)

9. Mal Negocio
    Yo tengo una identica y todos mis bajos pesan lo mismo... Para pesar instrumentos de menos 4 kilos, esas balanzas no sirven...
    Bad purchase
    I've got almost the same and all my basses weigh the same weight... To weight musical instruments wich weight les than 8 pounds, those scales are not good..
    [​IMG]

10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    The one that shocks me is that your T-40 is "only" 10.8 lbs. I'd bet that the one I had was at least 13. No joke. I don't own a scale, so I never got to actually weigh it before selling it, but it was much heavier than most of my other basses (all of which I'd guess were in the 8.5 to 10.5 range).

11. rad87gn

rad87gn

Sep 17, 2007
    rad87gn
    Majority of my basses are in the 9lb range. My Music Man Sting Rays and 5-string Tobias are the heaviest at 10lb each. The Sting Rays are so finely balanced that I never notice. My lightest bass is a USA Tobias Renegade at 7.5lb! It's like playing air guitar! LOL!

12. I've got 4 Peavesy T-40 ... I would need a Truck scale !!!!
    [​IMG]

13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaroweight.

80 kg + 400 grams = 177.25 lb. (Height: 179 cm. - 5' 10.47")

14. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

It was a bit difficult to find the right spot for the scale to react to such weights, but I got different readings from each one of my basses.

15. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Try weighing yourself, then weigh yourself holding your bass, then get out your calculator................

Thats how I weigh my dogs :)

16. That's the proof that's not reliable !!!

17. Is it a 4, 5 or 6 strings dog ????

18. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    If the accuracy of a bathroom scale is say 1% based on a full sclae reading (which is how most precision gauges are evaluated), and the max reading is 300 lbs, that means the scale is + or minus 3 lbs.
    I have a $40 digital scale and if I weigh myself 4 times in a row, there will be at least a 1/2 lb difference.
    Problem is, that accurate 0-15 lbs scales are not cheap; ones I've seen start at around $100 as there isn't much call for them.
    Please tell me I'm worng; I want to buy one.

19. That's why I prefer a digital fish scale for weighing in the 25lb max range. Mine cost about 50 bucks. In bass (fishing) tournaments, weighing errors can be VERY costly!!

20. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    That's an application I had never thought of; are there any internet sources for a digital fish scale that you can recommend?