1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just bought a Modfactor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassbmx, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Got it for a great price on Trademe (kiwi version of ebay) and will pick it up on the weekend. Will let you know how I get on with it.

Can put another tick on the GAS list :smug:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It's amazing to me how people aren't balking even a little at the price of these new Eventide gizmos. Except, of course, the guy you bought the Mod Factor from ;)

3. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    haha.yeah eventide stuff is pricey as ****. but then again what isnt these days...

4. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...they really are extremely nice boxes that cover a lot of ground, so if you look at it from that perspective, while still not cheap, they're not altogether unreasonably priced...shoot, somehow I ended up with 2 unopened Pitchfactors (never was much good at math!) & I don't have the least bit of remorse...

5. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    What are your plans for the two Pitchfactors? Part of the same rig?

6. I think it's annoying.

I know they probablly have the economics worked out. But I can't help but feel they would make a killing if they dropped the prices a bit. They are some of the most GAS inducing pedals out there. Even a small price cut would be the clincher for a zillion new customers. People like me who gawk lovingly but don't commit because they are a tad pricey.

7. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Well, on the flip side of that, Eventide has long had a very high standard of excellence, and these pedals may be the cheapest I've ever seen an Eventide product go for. I don't think that the price is out of line with the value, but I am surprised that so many bassists don't even blink at it, despite the fact that they probably have limited usage potential for most bass players.

8. Just because they are value for money doesn't mean I can't whing for more value!

9. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    They're certainly pricey. There also seems to be some unique tones. I guess that's always the trade off.

10. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I think $400 and $500 for these boxes isn't a bad price at all....they're basically taking some of their legendary FX from the insanely expensive rack mounts and putting them into pedal form.

I paid $1800 for my Eventide GTR4000 and sold it from my lack of patience to fully make use of it. It sounded FANTASTIC, but I wouldn't mess around with a unit like that again.

The pitchfactor sounds insanely good (if that's the sound you want) and having real time control over the parameters?.... Where do I swipe my credit card.

11. grovest

grovest

Feb 26, 2002
    The Factors are a really great value. Almost every patch has a 'parallel engine' design, and then consider the stereo capability, the control options (extensive MIDI implementation, plus traditional outboard switches and expression pedals), USB upgrades (though they could be more often for my taste!), the 'utility' thoughtfulness like global / local tempo, different bypass modes, instrument / line-level input and output, and more (the sound quality!)....

There are a couple people I don't think one of these pedals would be fantastic for. If you're really concerned about cost, have other priorities, or just very little income for this hobby, then yeah... there are cheaper standalone delays or phasers that will give you one or two sounds for a lot less dough. If you don't like to tweak knobs or dig into menus, these aren't the best fit. And, if you are extremely picky (nothing wrong with that of course!), or already have the "perfect" envelope filter or delay or octaver, the Factors would be a lesser value to you.

edit: ps, congrats on the purchase, bmx. make sure you check out the LFO display mode (it's off by default, I think), a really rad way to watch the waveform or input envelope movement. also try syncing the delays or tremolo with midi to a drum machine!

12. I suppose my young self just doesn't buy into the whole reputation means justification for cost thing. I understand the argument. I just don't like it's outcome.

There are plenty more legendary FX that don't cost anywhere near as much.

I'll still buy a Pitchfactor if I ever find one at a good price though, or just have excess dosh at the right time.

13. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    That's exactly how I see these things. I can't understand people who shell out crazy money for a legendary overdrive, because I don't really use overdrive, but I'd probably buy a PitchFactor or TimeFactor one day if I had the cash sitting around with nobody's name on it.

14. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    Don't mind spending the amount of money i'm getting my Pitchfactor for....

Let's just say i love my job :D

15. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I doubt Eventide has huge margins on these. I don't think the price point is where it is because they think the Eventide name/reputation will make them sell at inflated prices. I think it's simply where it had to be for them to turn a reasonable profit. I'm guessing they are expensive to produce.

I'd honestly feel better paying $400 or $500 for a Mod/Time/Pitch Factor new than I would paying the same or more for say, the Bass Whammy or Deep Impact which sold for a fraction of their current price when new.

QFT.

16. That's the same with me. Is it just me or do they seem more expensive in the UK? I think we're paying extortion prices for the 1st class airfares of these beauties...

17. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    Yeah I'd probably wait until GBP recovers and import one, I'm not desperate for one.

I'm from Wakefield too BTW - Horbury originally. :)

18. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...it was a mistake, lol, I didn't & don't have plans for two...guess I'll sell or trade one...like I mentioned, haven't even gotten around to taking the boxes out of the plastic bags yet ;)...

19. Considering it would be around NZ$1000 for a new Modfactor from the states, including shipping, I got a great deal!

I got it for NZ$500 and will pick it up so no shipping. Only problem now is that I want a Pitchfactor and Moog MIDI control expression pedal to go with it.

That'll probably set me back another NZ$2000 or close to it. I'll only be 20 years old once and I have a good job and a extremely understanding girlfriend. I want to get all the gear I can before I go back to school to study music!

I reckon all these tools/toys will be great for the composition course I'm looking onto. I'm getting one of the new Microkorg XL keyboards and will get a MIDI organ foot keyboard thing later on so I can play big synth parts with my feet. All part of the master plan :)

20. That's helpful. Sometimes the only reason I back out of these huge purchases is because my GF is acting as a voice of reason. Problem is she is pretty much always right!