Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just how thick is the Fender Steve Harris neck?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nurnay, Jan 10, 2014.

1. nurnay

nurnay Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2010
    Chico, CA
    I'm used to playing a Stingray, which is fairly thick. Is the SH model that much thicker?

2. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yes, and it has a wider nut than your Stingray too. It's simply massive IMO.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. She's a handful...and with no neck dive.

5. BrandonBass

BrandonBass

May 29, 2006
    I like stingray and most pbass necks but the steve harris neck is just ridiculously thick, Id stay away from it

6. StevieMac

StevieMac

Mar 17, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    I don’t have a measurement for you but it’s definitely pretty thick front to back. Personally I like it and I have really small hands. Fender specs say its 1 3/4” wide at the nut but mine is 1 5/8”.

I never thought I’d like a neck that thick but I do. My fretting hand seems to get fatigued less and I don’t find it any more difficult to play than my basses that have thinner necks.

I have another pbass that also has a 1 5/8” nut width but is much thinner front to back and for me the Harris neck is WAY more comfortable. YMMV.

It's been a LONG time since I played a stingray so I can't help you with a direct comparison.

7. Thrash3r

Thrash3r

Aug 5, 2013
    It's thicker than a Stingray but I never found it an issue, if anything I found the SH more comfortable to play.

8. ynot12

ynot12 Supporting Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Elk Grove Village, IL
    I had one of the rare 1 5/8 nut Steve Harris necks and it was one of my favorite P Basses. It was a handful, but a surprisingly comfortable handful. And I have medium sized hands.

9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Bethlehem, PA
    Yep they're nice chunky necks that seem to stay in tune for ever. I think the 1 3/4" nuts are actually the rare ones despite the published specs.