just listening to Jamerson

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Youngspanion, Sep 4, 2005.

1. I love his stuff. Its Motowns best. No doubt. Listening to WBGO in Newark New Jersey, 88.3 FM. Gladis Knight and the Pips, Grape Vine.

2. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
  3. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Best version of Grapevine, and one of my favorite basslines.
  4. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC
    I was made to love her, by Stevie Wonder

I still don't get that one right

facts about early jackson five? jamerson or not? ABC, I want you back..........

it is disputed in many places
  5. pil

Feb 17, 2005
    Pimlico, UK
    I agree on the bassline but as for best version you have gotta hear it by The Slits
  6. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    You probably know him as "that guy who played bass on teh Motown hits". He was the first virtuoso of the electric bass.

Thanks to the documentary "Standing In The Shadows of Motown" his name has become a household word amongst bass players. There is also a companion book of the same name devoted to the life of James Jamerson and has many transcriptions of his bass lines.

IMHO, every bass player should own and listen intently to "Hitsville USA: The Mowtown Singles Colelction 1959-1971"
  7. You know,...he's the guy who was married to Wheezy, god rest her soul.

Moven on up! to the east side.....

I love that song, although I didn't know he played bass.

Oh yea, ;)
  8. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    The Bronx, NYC

neither did I........EEK!
  9. :eyebrow:
  10. Sorry YoungSpanion, Both Matt and I are just pulling your leg a bit.

We both know very well who and how great Jamerson is and have the up most respect for what he has contributed to bass.

I am plagued with being a smart ass, so tend to go a little too far. Don't take it personally. Just try to find the humor in it.

Jefferson, Jamerson, kind of sound alike......get it.......[room goes silent].....ahem,....Is thing on?....hello??.......[Chunk leaves the stage in an uncomfortable still silent room]......... :bag:
  11. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IIRC, I Want You Back was Wilton Felder, though I could be wrong.
  12. OH! :D
  13. "Bernadette","Reach Out, I'll Be There", Gladys' "Grapevine","What's Goin' On?", "Ain't no Mountain High Enough" (Matvin Gaye, Tammy Terelle), "I Was Made to Love Her". These are all essential listening. I played an oldies gig once and got my @$$ kicked on "My Guy." Those fills at the end :eek: (and he played them on upright!!!)
    Every bass player should listen to him because he is the epitome of a player constucting a bass line where harmony, rhythm and even melody converge. When someone says "playing for the song..." please check this man out.
  14. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I thought it was Cecil Fielder? :rolleyes:
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I know Jamerson. He really invented modern bass playing. I'm not a huge fan, but have mucho respect.
  16. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Nope, not Don Felder or Victor Feldman either.;)
  17. Monomer

Jul 22, 2005

Upon reading this post, I ordered a copy of the movie on dvd.
  18. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    It's so good. I mean, to a non musician (my girlfriend) it is a bit tedious. But I loved the jams/performances along with the stories. They didn't have too many crazy rock star stories, but that's because they were... hmm in the shadows. But it's such a strange story, these musical giants that nobody has heard of.