1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just ordered a Golight 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by David Jayne, Apr 25, 2009.

1. 4 ohm version, to use with my Markbass head. I have a Goliath III to compare it to, stay tuned. Should have it in a week or two.

2. I just got the 8 ohm golight 410. I love it! If you are an SWR fan like myself it has everything the Goliaths have except the weight.

3. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Subscribed, don't leave me hangin'!

4. The store just called to say it's in. I'll pick it up tonight, stay tuned.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I like SWR cabs but I think it's very unfortunate that they named their neo cabs Golight. The last thing I would want to do is advertise that I'm using ultra-light cabs ;)

6. I personally don't get it. If they wanted to make lightweight cabs, why not make a lightweight cab instead of trying to emulate a goliath? I liked my goliath III and if I ever want that sound again, I'll get a goliath, not a go light!

and also, yeah, that name plate would have to go. as would the listed ohmage on the front. What audience member honestly cares what Ohm your cab is?

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I don't follow your point. Many love the GIII, but find it too heavy. If they can make a cab that sounds pretty close to the GIII, and cut 40 pounds or whatever off that weight, that would be a good thing to me.

However, +1 on the name. It's really bad! Not as bad as 'Epifunky' (maybe the worst name that anyone has ever come up with for a line of bass cabs IMO), but it's in contention to make the 'worst 10 list':D

I'm looking forward to hearing about the GIII/GoLight comparison. If the lightweight cabs match up pretty well with the heavy ones, my guess is they might sell a few of these (IMO).

8. Me too, that's what I'm hoping for. Not happy with the Epi sound and what I've read says I won't like the Berg, or any other light cabs. Fingers crossed.

9. I totally see your point, and I get that that was SWR's intention, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that instead of trying something new, SWR is chasing after the old, lumber sound of the heavy boys instead of just making a great lightweight cab. I watched a video on the golight, and what i got from it is SWR guys looked at a goliath and said "if we replace this with this" and so on.

Maybe I'm just a purist, but I would be more interested in a lightweight SWR cab built from the ground up instead of a hack n slash job on a goliath.

still, hey, if it cops the tone of the big boys, then I'll shut my mouth and congratulate them on a great job!

10. Right now I have a Goliath 410 and a Son of Bertha 115 which really sounds great.

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I used to say the same thing about the Ampeg 810, but then I finally realized that I am a man ;)

:bag:

Sorry, couldn't resist. But I am done trying to shave weight off my rigs. I think the "quest for tiny" has gone a little too far in the wrong direction. Yeah, I used to own a Markbass combo, but ultimately I would have liked something that had a bigger box and weighed a little more.

12. MingusBass

MingusBass Commercial User

Sep 27, 2004
    Fort Wayne,Indiana
    Sweetwater Sound-Sales
    I saw SMV on Saturday(Chicago) and to my ears, Marcus, who was using four Golight cabs and the Marcus Pre had the best overall tone. I don't doubt it had little to do with the cabs, but still...he sounded unreal. Stanley was using Goliaths and Vic was using the HyDrive cabs. All of them sounded great but Marcus really stood out.

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Don't confuse 'lightweight' with 'tiny'. I agree, in general, small sucks. However, a well made, large but lightweight 212 or 410... that's what I'm talking about!

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

You make a valid point also. The worst is Eden, who just cram neo drivers in their standard cabs... no reworking, no retuning, nothing. At least SWR came up with a stand-alone line with different tuning, materials, etc. to really take advantage of the neo drivers.

15. GODSENT

GODSENT

Mar 2, 2007
    I have a golight 410 and I can't tell the diffrence between the golight and the goheavyashell :oops:)..... I think its the best neo cab on the market....

16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Excellent! While I'm very happy with my current cabs, I have good memories of my GIII. I look forward to trying the new GoLight line sometime.

17. Fender sent a Goliath by mistake. Check back in a week or so.....:scowl:

18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Oh snap!

19. COUGH COUGH AVATAR COUGH
    :bag:

20. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I would have been okay with "Neoliath" :D

Seriously though, I love my Goliath. I've been looking for a cab that could do the same thing at a fraction of the weight. Crossing fingers.