1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Just picked up an epi T-bird - strap button question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by meowmeow, May 18, 2011.

1. meowmeow

meowmeow

Nov 11, 2007
    I just picked up a mint T-bird for $100 on craigslist. The last owner apparently moved the strap button from the original spot to one of the screws on the neck plate. Is this safe or should I switch it back? It seems solid but I would like the opinion of TB.

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I'm quite happy with her so far.

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    As long as it is long enough to have the same amount of contact with the neck it's good to go.

3. Bting

Bting

Dec 2, 2008
    It was done for the neck dive issue.

I moved mine from the original hole, to the top of the neck pocket. been fine ever since

4. jimmyjames

jimmyjames

Mar 30, 2011
    Queens
    KEEP IT!! and consider it luck... the original position of the strap button is a HORRIBLE one, the neck dives like its going for the gold.

the position he had moved it to adds perfect balance, that is where i had moved it to on my tbird when i owned one.

5. arsie

arsie

Jan 19, 2011
    Singapore
    That's a good position. If you are worried, find a slightly longer screw with the same thread. Might take a bit of legwork though.

6. meowmeow

meowmeow

Nov 11, 2007
    Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely keep it there.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Its safe as far as that goes but it does in most cases simply cause the bass to want to tip forward away from you. Simply trading one problem for a slight fix for reduced neck dive and adding new problem

8. Darkstorm, I have an epi Blackbird that I was going to do the same mod as the OP's bass has but maybe you have a better option

9. meowmeow

meowmeow

Nov 11, 2007
    It doesn't tip forward at all for me FWIW.

10. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    It's a Thunderbird so people will gripe about neckdive for you vicariously no matter what you do. There are threads dedicated to this stuff, like the Thunderbird Club and the "Some people just don't get it" thread... basically, the solution is to move the strap screw to where you have it anyway, so it's like the bass came to you with the problem already solved. Go rock out. And I like your avatar, btw. Persian kitteh close-up.

11. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    I'd say leave it as is. I always move mine like this:

tbirdstrapbuttons002.

tbirdstrapbuttons001.

12. Thanks for the insight