1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Just picked up my dream stool!

Discussion in 'Accessories [DB]' started by chris1125, Aug 7, 2012.

1. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I've always wanted a concert design stool but I've been scared away by the $800 price tag by the time it gets to my door. Well, I just ordered a 2006 NOS "gig basso" stool relatively inexpensively. I can't wait for it to come. :hyper:

Anybody have experience with these older versions? I really hope this will be a stool that I can use for the rest of my career.

Attached Files:

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    It looks very comfortable. A lot of the students at my university are using little foam yoga blocks in place of the footrest, but having it built in would be even more useful for those who like to sit that way. What's the height of this stool?

3. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I was told it's standard 30". I've never used that type of block to sit but I might try it out now that I have it. It's removable if I don't like it. I was reading some of the older reviews on their website and a lot of orchestras back then bought them for the whole section and seemed to like them.

4. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    I gotta say that I hate most real concert stools. They are just huge and heavy without any attention put toward comfort or ergonomics whatever. The ones in Lincoln Center are upholstered with something approaching 80 grit wet/dry. I used to bring my own Home Depot junker whenever I played there just to avoid destroying my Tux pants! Also, they often won't go low enough, if the height adjustments are even working at all.

5. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    I got to play with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra a few times at Strathmore and the Meyerhoff- as great as the experiences were, the stools SUCKED! :) They were just like what you encountered: hard to adjust, huge and heavy without any attention to comfort or ergonomics! At least they weren't 80 grit! :D

Chris, your new stool looks great! Please report on how it works for you!

Joe

6. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I can't stand those professional stools either, I've been playing in severance for a few years and the Cleveland orchestra stools are dreadful. Impossible to adjust, wobbly, the back makes it very uncomfortable. I always bring my wooden stool. I have sat on a couple of these concert design gig stools and they were fantastic. It has officially shipped!

7. PB+J

PB+J

Mar 9, 2000
    arlington va
    That's a really unfortunate thread title

But I'm glad the stool works well!

8. I was going to make fun of you for lusting after an $800 stool, when that's more than some (nooby) folks on this forum would be willing to pay for a bass. But then I felt a twinge of envy...so congrats on the stool. I wish you many happy years of sitting.

9. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    For the record, I paid MUCH less then $800. Most bassists who spend several hours a day on a traditional wooden stool would understand, it causes a number of other problems to say the least.

10. bejoyous

bejoyous

Oct 23, 2005
    London, Ontario
    Congrats on the stool. We use them in Orchestra London.

I usually use a shop stool with a thick memory foam pad, but I still have to occasionally get up to give my butt a break. But, when I am playing with OLC, I can happily sit the whole rehearsal/concert.

The seat, as I am sure you are aware, is not round. I usually have the beak between my legs so it is like sitting on a bike seat. The larger indent is then under my right leg.

11. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    I bought a double trolley in May or so.

It's perfect - extremely adjustable, very, very comfy, and it only took me about an hour to get use to.

Now I don't have to worry about transporting the bass either! It saves my back, and makes everything easier. It also makes it so that I can strap a music stand to my case, and not worry about the weight.

If anyone were to drop $800 on a stool, I'd suggest them the double trolley instead. Cheaper, and you get a back-saving trolley as well.

12. chris1125

chris1125

May 14, 2007
    I received the stool!

First, the negatives:
    -While it is 30" from top to bottom, there us about 2" of padding which makes it feel about an inch shorter then my 29" oak stool. Not a big deal but I did have to lower the endpin a notch to compensate.
    -The leg rest is about a 1/2 lower then the one in my other stool, once again not TO big of a deal but I'll have to get used to it.
    -This lacks side of features that the modern concert design stools have. It's not adjustable, no swivel (upcharge), no backrest (upcharge), it only has four legs of course.

And the positives:
    -The stool is very sturdy and looks great, very studio worthy. I'm a big guy and don't think I'll have any problems with it.
    -The padding and seat design are very comfortable, it comes to a point like a bicycle seat which feels very natural.
    -I haven't tried the removable footrest yet but it looks high quality and the height is adjustable.
    -It's much lighter weight then my oak stool.

Overall, it's a great stool! It will definitely be my go-to stool from now on.