Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just saw Kai Eckardt - Garaj Mahal

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just went to my first Garaj Mahal concert and it was fabulous.

I got to go back stage and meet Kai. What an incredible person. He is so down to earth. What talent and what an incredible tone. His Coura fretless knocked me out and his "Big Apple" Livewire bass had the perfect tone for the performance. And then there was the Glockenklang rig with the Bass Art head and the pair of Glock 15's. It all seemed so perfect.

It was Kai's birthday so he did a solo on the Big Apple that was killer and really a treat.

And just seeing Alan Hertz on drums was more than over the top. I couldn't believe just how much work that guy does on each song. He goes to the top of my list of favorite drummers. He was definately the standout for the group.

I HIGHLY recommend that you not miss Garaj Mahal since they are on a tour of the Pacific Northwest right now.

2. TMWPB

TMWPB

Mar 1, 2004
    Portland, Oregon
    Hey,

I saw Kai Eckardt when he played with the Everyone Orchestra in Eugene. He played he custom fretless that he's been using a while and played the Hotwire a little bit. They also had the guy Tye North playing a Modulus six string. They had 2 amps, one was an Alembic preamp into a power amp with an SWR cab, I forgot what the other one was.

They also had John fishman as one of the drummers.

TMWPB

3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Right on! One tiny correction I just couldn't resist though - his big apple 5 is made by Hotwire. Either he really likes supporting his homeland or they just make the best stuff - all of his gear is made in Germany. Glad you had fun, these guys rule. Wasn't Eric Levy a student of Fareed's at one point?

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    AGH! Yes Hotwire. Silly me! :rollno: