Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Just started taking bass lesson

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass65, Jul 23, 2004.

1. bass65

bass65

Apr 5, 2004
    I have been playing for about 4 months,self taught up until 2 weeks ago when I signed up for lessons. I thought I was progressing pretty well until my lessons started. The first thing I told my teacher was I wanted to learn proper left hand technique(fretting hand for me). When I started playing a c major scale using all my fingers it sounded like I had never played bass before in my life. This has somewhat discouraging, but I want learn proper fretting teachniques. I quess I will have practise practise practise to get it down. Has anybodyelse found themsevles in this position when they first started taking lessons after being self taught for a period of time.
    Just wondering :(

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I played bass throughout the 80s in bands that got record deals and were on TV etc. - and I had loads of bad habits!!

I never had any lessons until much later and it took years to correct my technique - but what I would do is practice "proper technique" at home and then it gradually fed into my playing at gigs - but it wasn't an overnight thing - we're talking months and years!!

I think that's why I still come to TB - to stop other people making all the mistakes that I did, which cost me years of musical development!! ;)