Just started taking bass lesson

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bass65, Jul 23, 2004.

1. bass65

Apr 5, 2004
    I have been playing for about 4 months,self taught up until 2 weeks ago when I signed up for lessons. I thought I was progressing pretty well until my lessons started. The first thing I told my teacher was I wanted to learn proper left hand technique(fretting hand for me). When I started playing a c major scale using all my fingers it sounded like I had never played bass before in my life. This has somewhat discouraging, but I want learn proper fretting teachniques. I quess I will have practise practise practise to get it down. Has anybodyelse found themsevles in this position when they first started taking lessons after being self taught for a period of time.
    Just wondering :(
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I played bass throughout the 80s in bands that got record deals and were on TV etc. - and I had loads of bad habits!!

I never had any lessons until much later and it took years to correct my technique - but what I would do is practice "proper technique" at home and then it gradually fed into my playing at gigs - but it wasn't an overnight thing - we're talking months and years!!

I think that's why I still come to TB - to stop other people making all the mistakes that I did, which cost me years of musical development!! ;)