1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Justin Chancellor Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstechie, May 6, 2019.

1. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    I'm just sitting here, listening to the late Ronnie James Dio live, enjoying the excitement of a new Tool album.

2. I love his tone. Yes, nothing sounds like a wal but a wal- BUT- I’ve heard soooo many players get very close with other basses.

Usually warwicks or stingrays IME.

Yay new tool!

3. Mastodon2

Mastodon2

Feb 27, 2008
    I believe the Nordstrand bass was returned too. I don't think the Warwick was ever intended as a loaner, Warwick made way too big a deal of it to only be a temporary thing. They were definitely courting Justin and trying to get him on board.

4. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    I saw Tool last month, he used the Stingray on one new song, I can’t remember if it was Descending or Invincible. I was fairly close to his side of the stage and could see the tech handing him basses, etc.

basstechie likes this.
  5. Carey has a Youtube video where he demos the bass, and he confirmed (I think in a subsequent video) that Justin ended up buying it.

I was wondering why we've never seen Justin with the custom Warwick. The Warwick guys made a big deal of that bass, with fancy videos of it and everything.

Joelc73 likes this.
  6. kulit17

kulit17 Wal Collector #35 Supporting Member

Nope. Justin gave this bass back too.

DeltaPhoenix and Toolmybass like this.
  7. Aybabtu

Aybabtu

Feb 8, 2018
    The Netherlands
    I saw Tool live yesterday and when playing Descending I thought: 'hey, is that a Stingray?' which made me google it and ended up here. I could recognize it by the headstock and metal control plate. Couldn't see the pup configuration though.
    Also gave me instaGAS...

8. Floppystrings

Floppystrings

Apr 5, 2019
    I always thought this bass cover sounded great, not a Stingray but a Sterling.

9. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Emulating basic Tool tone with an HH and 1001RBiiis gravy. Yeah, Justin is okay for being a former guitarist...
    :)
    Love it!

10. Aybabtu

Aybabtu

Feb 8, 2018
    The Netherlands
    Is that a 'normal' Stingray/Sterling tone? If so, I'm gonna die of GAS...

11. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    Paul D'Amour was the "former guitarist" turned bassist in tool, not Justin.
    And Adam is a former bassist turned guitarist.

BWorm likes this.
  12. @Aybabtu
    Schism is not a good example to use. A song using more of the 2 top strings is what you want to search out.
    There are lots of examples on YouTube where a non-Wal is being used (or a StingRay) without a modded Rat and Eq, and sometimes it sounds pretty good until the E and A strings are used....then poof, gone. Even when i did get a Wal, it took a lot longer with set-ups and adjusting to get the 2 top strings sounding right.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Aybabtu likes this.
  13. Correct!...he was in a band with Tom Morello even before the 2 of them moved to Cali.

14. RP27

RP27

Sep 13, 2015
    I read Justin did not like the Nordstrand pick-ups in the warwick thats why we don't see him playing the warwick live. In the video it does look like he's using the MM for that particular song, but he always goes back to the Wal.

15. mbell75

mbell75

May 23, 2016
    Sterlings have ceramic pickups which are a bit more rowdy and aggressive sounding compared to the Stingray's Alnico pickups, but a Stingray can certainly pull that off too.

FlyingV73 and Aybabtu like this.
  16. Aybabtu

Aybabtu

Feb 8, 2018
    The Netherlands
    True, Descending was the only song he played with an other bass than a Wal. I think he used 2 of them.

17. +1...on the shows with Parabol/Parabola it would be 3 Wals.

Aybabtu likes this.
  18. sPiKi

sPiKi

Jan 28, 2010
    Check out Tool at Download last weekend on YT. Lots of good quality videos there in the daylight where you can clearly identify his basses.

19. Aybabtu

Aybabtu

Feb 8, 2018
    The Netherlands
    Sorry, didn't realize you were replying to me. I meant to say that I liked the Sterling's tone is this vid of which I realize isn't necessarily a JC tone. I don't have any illusions of owning a Wal in the foreseeable future.

20. Turbo Sparky

Turbo Sparky Supporting Member

May 14, 2018
    South Eastern U.S.
    Really? Thought J was playing guitar for some band in Seattle area? Oh well, no matter, whatever it is FINALLY another Tool. After wearing out CD's of Tool, then the MP3s, it's nice to see new tracks!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021