1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

Justin Chancellor Stingray?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by basstechie, May 6, 2019.

1. basstechie

basstechie

May 6, 2013
    Virginia
    I know he has a new Warwick custom bass, but this video it really looks like he is playing a Stingray, I had decent success getting his tone with a Stingray when I used to have one, plus new Tool song is always great.

Turbo Sparky and nonohmic like this.
  2. gr8avocado

gr8avocado

Mar 23, 2012
    North Carolina
    Yeah, I noticed that too. Sure does look like a Stingray HH. He is using his Wal again in the vid for the other new song though. And, yeah new Tool :hyper:

basstechie likes this.
  3. Thorsoundcore

Thorsoundcore Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2009
    Capital district, NY
    Sucks only Adam was given close ups. It's really hard for me to tell, but anyway I'd feel that an HH would be one of the top non-Wal choices for Tool tones.

Resonance129 and MattZilla like this.
  4. basstechie

basstechie

May 6, 2013
    Virginia
    Yeah there are a couple times the light hits him and it looks like that signature metal plate where the controls are, also near the end of the video he turns around and you can we the headstock shape pretty well.

5. Yeah the a stingray will get pretty close. There was a point in time when the original bass player for Tool played stingrays and Rics. I don’t expect Justin to play nothing but the same bass all the time. Yeah he has that really nice custom shop Warwick they made him and there’s foortage out there of him playing it also.

6. I could have sworn I read somewhere years ago...that when JC was hired by TooL, he specifically got a Wal because he didn’t think he could get the right tone out of the Stingray he already had...
    Or maybe I just replace this reality with one of my own design...I don’t know...

7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Yes, it was Justin that was playing a StingRay when he joined. He also recorded with it on a couple songs on previous albums.

Ikkir, BWorm and eastcoasteddie like this.
  8. Phew! I’m not losing my mind...just yet...

mikeswals likes this.
  9. He returned the Warwick. They had it for sale on thier site afterwards. They also never had him listed as an artist on thier website.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  10. I don’t remember saying they had him listed on their site as an artist. Just that I’d seen footage of him playing that bass and that they made it for him. Either way I have zero interest in super expensive 4 bangers

Toolmybass likes this.
  11. I dont remember saying that you did.

My comment was pertaining to before he returned it and had it for a spell...they still hadn’t listed him as an artist that plays Wick’s
    So im guessing it was a loaner from the get-go

12. GHOST AT

GHOST AT

May 24, 2011
    You might if you had the pleasure of playing a Wal through a great rig:D nothing like it!!

13. Meh, if they were good basses they wouldn’t have gone out of business lol

14. There usually is a void in production when the owner gets too sick from cancer to work, and an employee (former employee), buys it from his estate after he retires. There are some legal logistics that need to happen before Paul was allowed to start making money from the business. Duh o_O

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  15. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    Disregard. Toolmybass beat me to it.

Nephilymbass likes this.
  16. It was a joke!
    I see all those Wal basses in you’re avatar lol.

Lighten up lol

17. Justin also has a bass that Carey Nordstrand built for him to test out the Big Blademan pickups and JC-3 preamp he helped design. Doesn't look like he's got it with him on the current tour though, just the Wals and the Stingray.

I believe a couple of tunes on Aenima were recorded by Justin with a Stingray, including Forty-Six & Two.

stigbeve likes this.
  18. Geri O

Geri O

Sep 6, 2013
    Florence, MS
    Hey, you guys that like making such jokes...

That’s fine and all. Somewhere in your intended-to-be-funny post, make some kind of indication that you intended port to be funny. Not everyone interprets posts the same way.

StoicStrayCat and Toolmybass like this.
  19. I did use “Lol” aka “laugh out loud” to clearly I indicated that it was a joke from the get go.

00C1AD8E-0877-4D7B-BAE1-6E20ED76D1D8.png

20. Yes!...and H.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 16, 2021