1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

JustStrings.com -A dissatisfied and former customer testimonial

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by PJaye, Mar 7, 2008.

1. PJaye

PJaye

Feb 2, 2004
    Boston/Worcester
    I was in the Milford, New Hampshire area this afternoon (3-7-08). Since I had a problem with my order from Juststrings.com, I brought the two new, perfect and unused strings (of the wrong size) with me on my trip.

Here is a company that preaches “exceptional, personalized service,” and that’s not what I got. Instead, the clerk cheerfully let me know that it was beyond the 30-day return policy and the front counter is only for order pickup.

The clerk called for the owner. I asked the owner if he was willing to make an exception, since I’ve done business (online) with them before, and it was only eight or nine days over the 30-day return policy. The Invoice does not state this. I did not know.

Here’s the best part. The owner swore on-and-on about how bad it is to have strings that were not “factory fresh.” He babbled relentlessly about how his converted house-of-worship distribution center was “climate-controlled,” and that “I should just throw the strings away – they’re no-good now.” When he sells strings, “customers know the tone is different if they’re not properly cared for.”

I was one-second away from socking this guy in the teeth with my right fist. Instead, I let him know that he lost a customer and walked out the door. How do they claim great customer service when the best business practices are disregarded? No intelligent reasoning with this guy.

My dad has been in business for over 30 solid years. I don’t think I was being unreasonable, and he never had a customer complaint on the internet either. Now, JustStrings.com does. Because this guy is just plain wrong, he’s got a new advertisement - at no charge. You’ll see this posted on the internet in many places, not just on TB.

2. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    Why didn't you contact them within the thirty days? It doesn't seem like you were in too much of a huff about the strings until they expected you to abide by their return policy.

Sorry but this sounds like some worthless retaliatory winning 'cause you were either too forgetful or too lazy to contact them in a timely mater.

3. The crap about "freshly climate controlled" needs to be laid out there. It's bunk unless they've been stored in water or a really humid place with the package open to the elements. That was a flimsy excuse for the owner to use.

Granted the time limit was exceeded, but the issue is that they messed up the order. Two wrongs don't make a right. Sounds to me like they could have come up with a compromise solution given the date, condition of the strings, and the fact the customer visited them in person to return them.

4. PJaye

PJaye

Feb 2, 2004
    Boston/Worcester
    It’s easy for you to say. I don't buy tons of strings from them, and therefore, only had the shipping packet at hand. Besides, I had no immediate use since they were backups.

I argued with him until I realized how low can you go? A key business principle - keeping a happy customer and they'll return. Then, it's a win-win.

I confess I ordered the wrong strings, but throwing fruity BS at someone is wrong and bad business. After hearing this guy talk like he did, I will gladly pay more for integrity.

Stores in general, get bigger by bending the rules sometimes. Ask any successful retail manager that you know. Think about what this person is really saying. He could care less. I didn't walk in mad, the owner was - in more ways than one.

One more thing. I am not lazy.

5. MyUsernameHere

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    How do you know they messed up the order? 'Cause some guy who has worked up an incredible level of trust through his .006 post a day on this forum and is motivated enough to contact numerous message boards to badmouth this company--even though he couldn't muster the energy to contact the actual company with his complaint for over a month--says so? Come on.

I think it more likely that the conversation between the OP and the owner didn't happen at all like its portrayed here...and he probably used the strings before returning them as well.

And even if it did happen exactly as the OP says, its still an exceptionally petty post since at the end of the day the OP is complaining about a situation that he brought upon himself.

Edit:

OK PJAYE. I agree with the BS thing if it happened, but leaving diatribes like this over them not letting you return the strings is still unfair and wrong. I could understand you saying that the owner doesn't know what he's talking about, but to badmouth them for not taking the strings is ridiculous. Its your responsibility to check the strings to see if they are correct. You can't honestly expect someone to take them back a week and a half after the return period ends if you made no attempt to contact them about it. That's just silly.

Take it as a lesson learned and check your purchase the next time you buy something.

6. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    If this happpened within the return policy period I could see your case OP.

But you really have no rights after no 30 days. Ask a mod to delete this. You are in the wrong.

7. PJaye

PJaye

Feb 2, 2004
    Boston/Worcester
    "I think it more likely that the conversation between the OP and the owner didn't happen at all like its portrayed here...and he probably used the strings before returning them as well."

That's what you have to say... without knowing all the facts?

The strings were NEW, unused and in their original, clean packaging.

Thanks, but the company clearly sent the message that they'll get mad if ANY strings are returned.

8. MyUsernameHere

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    There are no "facts" at all here. Only empty allegations.

Also, did you consider that the owner wasn't sending the message that they'll get mad if ANY strings are returned. Rather, they were sending one person a message that some crazy guy coming in off the street wanting his money back after 40 days had passed is stupid...and the risk/benefit analysis of the situation made it clear that doing everything in their power to keep your business in the future might not be worth it?

9. Talk about invective...let's see "no facts" "crazy guy"..."stupid"....

Obviously only your opinion counts to you...pretty classy that. Before telling this guy to be classy and not malign the company without more facts, perhaps you should take your own advice.

Better read the forum rules about being polite and not making personal attacks...Rule #1...respect all members...and "everyone has a right their opinion"

The OP registered his opinion....while he might have let the timeframe expire, he was quoted some untrue statements given the account above.

10. Jonny B

Jonny B

Nov 5, 2006
    WI
    I've used juststrings.com numerous times. Once, they screwed up my order, so I emailed them and they fixed the situation immediately. Once, I ordered four sets of sixers that had two E strings and no low Bs. Obviously not their fault, but again they made the situation right.

That's my experience.

11. PJaye

PJaye

Feb 2, 2004
    Boston/Worcester
    MyUserNameHere, you still don’t get it. You were not there when I walked-in. From the beginning, the first clerk appeared bent out of shape – even before they knew the facts. They even said “Gee, I’m not sure what we’re gonna do here.”

I was unaware when ordering – a misunderstanding. IMO, it’s a good idea to educate and work with all paying customers (at least in the beginning) about string features and specs (if so inclined) and to live-up to good customer service.

But, like you say, selling 6 or 7 sets a year to one guy may not be in their best interest. Especially if I ask questions about manufacturer specs and the like they can’t always answer. As it turns out, they are a web-only dealer with pick-up privileges for local buyers. No retail counter.

12. In general, I don't expect to buy online at discount prices and get the same service I do when I buy locally and pay a little more.

13. vlad335

vlad335 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2003
    Latrobe, PA
    I've ordered from JustStrings for years and it's been mostly positive.

The only problem I have with them thats been coming up alot lately is strings on their site that are back ordered. You place an order only to get an email a day or two later telling you they don't have them and will ship out when they do. Happened to me again this week.

Need to have some kind of realtime stock updates on their site. Musician's Friend pulls this crap all the time and thats the reason I rarely order anything from them.

14. PJaye

PJaye

Feb 2, 2004
    Boston/Worcester
    Where do you buy your strings Jim?

15. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I've ordered a dozen or so sets from Juststrings. They seem like good people and you failed to return the strings within 30 days, and it's their policy to disregard stale returns. So.. What are we supposed to say?

16. MyUsernameHere

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    You got to be kidding me:scowl:

How is my saying that we have no facts anything other than a statement about the obvious? The OP's claiming that some things had taken place and all we have is his word to verify the accuracy of those claims. By definition, that is an accusation...not a fact.

As far as my use of the term "crazy guy" it was meant to illustrate what the owner might think of the OP coming into his shop trying to get him a refund on a product that he had no legal, moral or ethical right to ask for. There are many definitions of "crazy," but one that I think fits would be a person entering into a situation in which he knows what the outcome will be (i.e. a spelled out return policy--including time line--for a couple of strings) and get mad when it turns out exactly like it should. If it makes you feel any better feel free to substitute "incredibly ballsy guy" where I used "crazy guy."

As for the use of the term "stupid." Its a descriptive of the situation--namely an attempted refund claim when the requester has no right to make one--not the OP.

Anyway, my having an opinion on what the owner of the shop might have thought in that situation, or the situation itself, is what it is...an opinion. How bout you take a look in the mirror and redirect that moral outrage you feel on a more deserving subject...and have a nice day.;)

17. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    From what the OP has said, it breaks down like this:

1. OP ordered the wrong strings.

2. Juststrings sent the strings that were ordered.

3. OP waited 40 days to initiate a return.

4. Due to policy, juststrings refused the return.

Anyone who has ever worked in customer service will tell you that the customer is NOT always right. In this instance, juststrings didn't do anything wrong, they just didn't go above and beyond what was required of them to keep OP happy. Maybe not great customer service, but certainly not a huge black mark on what has always been a pretty well respected company.

18. dela217

dela217

Mar 2, 2006
    New Orleans, La
    JustStrings lost me as a customer a while back too. I made an online order, it never came. When I inquired about it, they were very rude to me when they explained why. It seems that they thought that my billing address on my card did not match the shipping order. I verified all of my information with them and they still insisted, in a rude manner, that it was still wrong. They never would admit that they had a problem with their system, and were not the least bit interested in fixing their problem and continued to talk down to me about it. They kept insisting that I call the card issuer to fix MY problem. There was never a problem with my card before, or since!

If there was a problem with my card, or payment, I would be able to understand that. But NEVER be rude to a paying customer.

I'll just order my Pyramid Gold strings from Elderly.

19. I have ordered from them a few times and will again in the future. I can get two sets of strings shipped to my door for the price of one set of strings from the store downtown (we get hosed on string prices in Canada).

lowsound

20. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    If I were juststrings, i'd just eat the cost. How much can 2 strings cost? I'd certainly get more than that from the repeat sales to this guy. I think that's the bottomline, and what is making PJaye mad. Not the money, but actually the fact that they cheaped out on costumer service.