1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

K&K Bassmax and DB500

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by ardi100, Mar 13, 2009.

1. ardi100

ardi100

Oct 3, 2008
    London, UK
    Hi,

I play my Zeller solid top (budget model) through a K&K Bassmax pickup. This goes into me Roland DB500 combo which is a great amp for electric bass and should have enough tone shaping to be alright for DB.

I've read that users of other pickups (UB Revolution Solo for example) have different experiences when the pickup is turned around or swithced into the other side of the bridge. Does anyone have any expeience of that kind of tweaking with the Bassmax?

I suppose I'm aksing to avoid a load of faffing around with it to experiment with the placings.

So, how about it, anyone?

2. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I don't remember if flipping over the Bass Max in the wing slot makes any difference. I probably flipped mine over many times without thinking about it. But I tend to think it may not make much difference, because the Bass Max has two piezos inside, one on each side. But that's assuming that when you flip it over, the two piezo's response is ~ identical, and the placement and fit / pressure is ~ identical. But that experiment would be easy. No sanding the wing slot or anything.

The Rev Solo OTOH has one piezo inside, and the piezo element is closer to the pickup's surface on the side with the "R" brand symbol on it. So that's one reason why flipping over the RS in the wing slot makes a difference in tone and response.

Back to the Bass Max, IME, yes it will make a noticeable difference if you switch it from the E string side to the G string side.

3. ardi100

ardi100

Oct 3, 2008
    London, UK
    Thanks Bolo,

I just had a quick try and I couldn't tell between any of the variables - even switching sides.

Although I have had a few pints, I couldn't hear a difference at all.

4. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Interesting. I think so much of this depends on the bridge itself, which varies from bass to bass. And of course the bass.

I'll catch up w/ you in terms of pints later today. ;)