K&K BassMax, better without preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by kenro, Jun 30, 2005.

1. kenro

Jun 21, 2005
    Just started using K&K BassMax and it sounds great. But when I use the preamp (Powerpack which came with), to me it sounds less acoustic (more electric). Is that possible? Maybe I'm not using the preamp properly. Any advice from anyone?
  2. bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    If that preamp has internal controls for EQ, I wonder what would happen if you tried some adjustments there ? ...

The two K&K preamps that I own have a tiny screwdriver inside for adjusting bass, treble, and on one model (and one channel) mid-range. I think 12:00 is the "flat" position.

P.S. Sometimes I also get the same impression when I run my Revolution SOLO pickup into an AI Contra. Sometimes I think it sounds "better" without a preamp, and other times I think running it through my D-TAR Solstice sounds preferable. I'm still trying to A/B these two options and pick one!
  3. The main reason for using a preamp with piezo pickups is that their very high impedance makes them lose high frequencies if the signal goes through a long cable or into a too-low impedance input.
    However with bass, it may actually be an advantage to attenuate those high frequencies a little. If it sounds good, do it...
  4. I thought the problem with not using a preamp was that the low frequency's were lost- thus the "brittle" sound. Nevertheless, My Bassmax needs a pre when I use my GK MB150 but sounds better without a pre when I use my Walter Woods amp.