1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kala UBass Megathread, Part 2

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smperry, Jan 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
  2. MarkusBass

MarkusBass Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    Subbed!

3. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Me and the spruce hollow fretless
    UBass-1s.

I have had it for all of 5 days now, played it at two churches and one band try-out and I am really enjoying it.

4. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Hothersale:

- Glad to see someone has a solid body here. Please continue to post as you log time with it.

- You should try the Thunderguts again. Make sure you get the latest production run. They were definitely improved over what you experienced. As a matter of fact, I'm going to post some facts about the improvements shortly.

5. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I asked Mimmo at Aquila if he could share with us any specifics on what went wrong with the initial production run of the strings. He was glad to share:

The Thundergut set is made with three different gradations of elasticity able to cover the harmonic range as strings are thicker. This is not the same with the Kala black strings - the material is all the same grade of elasticity.

In the first batch the elasticity of the G and D was too high so they stretched out a lot. The elasticity was changed.​

Only further time will tell for sure, but my initial experience with the new strings is very, very good.

6. MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    I order some a few days ago...how can I tell what generation they are?

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    That's a good question. I'm going to ask Mimmo/Aquila and I'll come back with a response.

By the way, let me say this:

I think it has been mentioned already, but it is worth repeating. Mimmo at Aquila is Extremely responsive and cares
    deeply about making the very best string. Aquila manufactures all the strings for Kala ukes, as well as many other
    uke manufacturers, and I believe they even make some special sets of strings for - DAddario.

If you Do receive an older generation string, I'm confident Mimmo/Aquila will resolve the issue for you very promptly.

8. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    Subbed, even though I think we've pretty much come to the conclusion that this isn't all that much of a club. Didn't we? Are there any officers here? We need leadership!!!! We need organization! We need help!

Maybe we should just call it the Kala Ubass "thread" instead of club. Whattaya think of that?

9. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I agree. I think it should be renamed Thread or Megathread like some others. That will help us keep all the dialog on this bass in one place. Personally, I don't really care about a club, and I don't need a number. :) I just like having a place to exchange information on this awesome bass.

10. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    +1 for THREAD. U-BASE APPRECIATION SOCIETY, or the Mad Thumpers

11. MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Thanks very much!!

12. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL
    I think this instrument warrants a 'megathread' as well since there's so much interest. Good info in this thread.

13. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Well, since the summer in 2010 that I picked up my original spruce top U-Bass 2, I've used it more and more on my regular paying gig in Omaha. Over the last 18 months or so, I've gone from occasionally using it to playing it almost exclusively in 4 and 5 set shows that range from oldies to country to rock to pop to dance music.

Not only has the band actively supported me but our audience has been very complimentary about the way it sounds, with someone coming up to me almost every show to ask me about it.

I'd been holding out for a California 5 String, but last week I stumbled into a deal I couldn't ignore and I pulled the trigger on an SUB. I played it for almost the whole New Year's show we play for the City of LaVista a couple of days ago and it was a hit.

As always, your mileage may vary for a given instrument with a particular band, but at this point I feel very comfortable saying that it's been a successful transition for me with a professional, variety cover act. I'm looking forward to more big sounds from my small basses in 2012.

[​IMG]

14. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    That's awesome! The U-Bass has actually been a big $ maker for me as well. Its popular with my clients & I've even gotten a tour or two largely thanks to the instrument. Easily the smartest instrument investment I've made in years!

15. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Aquila string update... (continued from last thread)

Well- these stiff, white strings have already stabilized! (2 days instead of 2 weeks.) When it comes to the tuning & installation categories, Thunderguts are a decisive win over Pahohoe's. Just make sure they are the 'corrected' new formula strings!

Reserving final judgement until after a gig, session or two, naturally...

16. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Spiffy new title. This thread has one.

17. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Very classy.

18. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Niiice. Thanks.

19. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Mimmo believes all the original strings are gone. It was a very small run.

So, in all likelihood, any new order will be the new strings.
    If for some reason you do get an old set, with a failure on the D or G strings, he is happy to replace the set.

20. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Excellent. An SUB is definitely in my future. It will probably be a far future :) cuz I just don't have the funds, but I will Have to own one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.