Kalium Convert?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Maiden Bass, Jan 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    Anyone on here a Kalium Convert?

If so, what did you like about the Kaliums vs your previous strings and why did you make the switch?

Would love to hear from anyone who currently plays Kalium strings!

Thanks!

:bassist:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  2. Furious_Man77

Furious_Man77 Low frequencies since 1997

Jul 5, 2010
    Indiana
    Went from DR's to Kalium in search of a better B string. I use them on everything now including guitar. I do like the balanced tension and ability to adjust gauges easily for any string.

Maiden Bass likes this.
  3. Went from LaBella to Kalium for the balanced tone from string to string and gauge options (Low F#). I love the way Kalium strings can make I'm bass sound grumpy or mellow.
    Acoustic: from Martin for playability and tone.
    Electric guitar: from Boomers for gauge options and longevity.

Also converted a friend from Blue steels, he said he like everything about them.

Maiden Bass likes this.
  4. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Been using the balanced hybrid sets on several of my basses for years.
    Previously used DR Sunbeams. The Kaliums feel fantastic,both the finish and the tension/stiffness.
    I also think they sound great,a smooth feel with a clank that’s very dial-able.

Maiden Bass likes this.
  5. Maiden Bass

Maiden Bass Inactive

Feb 11, 2007
    I just started using the Kalium Hybrids on my new Zon Sonus, and I'm very very impressed!
    :thumbsup:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
    woodyng2 likes this.
  6. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Ordered and paid for a stock 4-string set: the Hybrid balanced 110's. Ordered Nov 23. Not relying on Stamps. Plugged the tracking number into USPS directly. Still listed as pre-shipment. Fortunately, I don't need them immediately, because the bass on which I will put them on is for one of my groups that does not have gigs until 2019. But then I will be leaning on them if I don't have them at that point.

woodyng2 likes this.
  7. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    iiipopes that's inapplicable to this thread.

8. tom-g

tom-g

Oct 2, 2007
    Nope, it’s valuable info when customer service is lacking.

bertbassplayer, flojob and onda'bass like this.
  9. I like the balanced tension and the clear, open sound.
    Bought a Squier, expecting to do a lot of mods.
    Once I had a set of Kaliums on it, I stopped wanting to change anything about it.
    Great B string!

10. I would be, but they never actually ship the strings. Always end up getting a refund after a couple weeks. Not even ordering weird gauges. Moved to Fodera strings for rounds.

11. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    I have really wanted to try a set of Kalium Hybrids for some time, But I cant justify the massive shipping bill to Australia. Is there any other strings that come close?

12. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    DR Pure Blues.

keatz likes this.
  13. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Looked them up they sound amazing. But of course i cant get them in a 035. I always have so much trouble finding strings in the guages i need(125,90,70,50,35)(C,G,C,F,A#) which is why i always go back to plain ole daddarios. Im just going to have to dip into my pocket for the kaliums.........

14. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    It's pertinent info and it certainly does matter... doesn't matter how good the product is if they can't deliver it for some reason.

I'd love to try out a few of their sets, but I'm discouraged from ordering because of the possible lag time in actually recieving them.

I'm in Seattle too. Saw Skip at the 2nd local TB-GTG I went to about 4 years ago when they were still going by Circle K, he demo'd a low string that was seemingly as round as a dime! They gave away a few more conventional sets as raffle prizes but I didn't win.

bertbassplayer likes this.
  15. tom-g

tom-g

Oct 2, 2007
    As mentioned before, delivery time was never a problem with me as I live in Germany. It will take several weeks with customs and everything else. With me it was the complete lack of communication about my order. I had waited four weeks, sent several mails, before finally canceling my order. At that time communication was possible and I got back my money. If they had answered just one of my previous mails, I would still be their customer as I used to be a Kalium convert. A shame it is because I really liked their strings.

16. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    I did finally get my strings on December 10 after ordering from them November 23. Now with Thanksgiving holiday intervening, I would have understood a few days delay since they listed what I ordered as a regular in-stock set. Worse, when I tried to look up my order to see status on their web site, it was not operable. I tried to correspond with no reply. It seems it was only after I lodged a complaint with PayPal that they shipped. I will not order from them again.

17. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    I tried a set years ago when they were still Circle K strings. They felt nice and had a even tone. They didn't blow me away for the price. I keep reading mixed things about their ability to fulfill orders. That is the risk a small company always faces, I guess. They want to grow enough to be profitable, but not so much that they can't keep up with the orders.
    I might give them a shot again.

18. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    You put them on a bass yet? If so, how do you like them so far?

19. iiipopes

May 4, 2009
    They are alright. They remind me of strings wound with the "Alloy 52," so I would consider them comparable to GHS Progressives and similar strings from other manufacturers. IMO, they are not worth the premium price when I can get what to me sounds like essentially the same thing elsewhere for less money.

20. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Carlsbad, NM
    Again, I don't want to harp on Kallium and I know this thread isn't about Customer Service. However, I'll be 100% honest, I've contemplated multiple times and have tried to order multiple times from them even back when they were Circle K. It seems like every single time I try and order they are having issues with their website or my order doesn't go through or gets lost or whatever. I've honestly tried like 5-6 times over the last 10 years, but it just seems like every time I've tried that has happened. Maybe one of these days I'll try again but at some point it just isn't really worth it.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021