Kathy Valentine appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Raman, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Gold Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Have y'all heard "Club Zero" the first new Go-Go's tune in ~20 years? Was just released last fall as part of that aforementioned documentary:

Spectrum, Raman and Guzzi Toad like this.
  2. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    A really great track and video!

Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
  3. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I've always enjoyed her bass parts. You all might appreciate this video I posted:

- Steve

Raman likes this.
  4. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Love it. Could be my next project to learn. Thanks!

5. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Keep in mind that the studio recording was sped up. The song was/is played in G (check out a live version), but the record is just shy of Ab.

- Steve

Raman likes this.
  6. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc

7. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    What a hard-and-focused-working band!

8. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Their music was so intricate. Even on the early hits.

Raman likes this.
  9. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    This is a great video. I like Jane Wiedlin's rhythm guitar playing too.

Raman likes this.
  10. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Especially for a band that started out not knowing how to play! If you've watched the Showtime documentary (2020), it's impressive how they started out just wanting to be in the punk scene for the partying, knowing nothing about music and not rehearsing, and very rapidly got more serious and progressed until they would write these very well crafted songs with intricate vocals and harmonies.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    ElectroVibe likes this.
  11. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I am reading the Kathy Valentine autobiography. I highly recommend this book to anyone. Mainly I wanted to hear more about her story, and the Go-Go's story. But really, it's fascinating to read because I am realizing how some people (myself included) were drawn to music as a way of coping in the world in general. I never really felt like I "fit" in the world, so I began to play guitar just as a way of getting out of that anxiety. I wonder if other musicians have done the same. In this sense, I see that the world of music is really like a gift to the musician.

flannel cat and Raman like this.
  12. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    Kathy Valentine was to the Go-Go's like what Ringo Starr was to the Beatles. Both of them joined the band shortly before they hit it big, and both were "one of them" in the sense that they had the same kind of background and musical aspirations as their newfound band members. And both of them gave other band members the assurance that they were going to "get the job done" without worry.

Raman likes this.
  13. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    I'm sure it applies to many of us. A bunch of nerdy misfits.

flannel cat and ElectroVibe like this.
  14. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc

Steve Boisen and ElectroVibe like this.
  15. Raman

Raman

Feb 19, 2003
    Montreal, Qc
    Nothing special about the bass in this song. It's just steady and perfect. It's also originally a Textone song: Kathy Valentine's earlier band.
    I just thought it shows the Go-Go's punk origins, and how they've mastered that energy into pop.
    It's really base and fast, and it looks like so much fun to play!

16. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I think the best punk-inspired bands created their own forms of pop music. I can't stand when I hear punk "purists" talking about what they think real music is.

flannel cat likes this.
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021