1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keeping Bass in a hot gargage

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassMystic, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Who here keeps their amps
    in their gargage in this heat.

I live in SE michigan
    and im thinking of using my gargage more
    but I have a heavy amp and dont want to keep
    dragging it from house and gargage....

Will this heat affect a solid state amp....

2. yes i spelled garage wrong...can you believe that

3. Does the heat kill your car stereo and speakers ? (answer is NO)

I live in Florida, and keep my rigs in the garage without problems.

Only thing I do is keep a couple of silica packets in the amp rack.

4. boynamedsuse

boynamedsuse Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    If you are talking short term storage--a day or so between gigs--I don't suspect it will be a problem. If you are referring to a longer period of time, it would be better to make the extra effort and carry it in the house. Only military (and probably automotive) electronics are designed to take long term exposure to heat and humidity. Consumer electronics are not.

PS: I used to work in the electronics industry and there is a gigantic difference in the component design and quality used in various industries.

5. Long term? Bad idea. Nothing lasts well when exposed to humidity except tropical plants.

6. boynamedsuse

Oct 13, 2010
    Silica gel packets only work in a closed (sealed) environment, because there is only so much they can absorb. If they are exposed to the open air, your packets will become saturated with moisture and lose their ability to dessicate in a few days.

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I keep my 810 cabinet with its custom cover on it stored in my garage year round. It's to big to move into the house by myself. Haven't had any problems with it. I do have it sitting on a small skid that I made for it to keep it off the concrete floor.

The amp head definately is stored in the house.

TD

8. I should have said sealed rack (thought "rack" was obvious).

9. ricguy

ricguy Supporting Member

Jul 22, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I leave my amp and cabinet in my mini-van all year 'round. I've been doing so for the last 25+ years without any issues. I live in Central New York where there's some pretty extreme temperature/humidity variations. But for the record - I do leave the windows open a bit in the summer and almost always park in my garage when I'm home.
    So, I would think leaving your gear in your garage would be okay.

However I NEVER leave my bass in the van.

10. So far im getting that maybe keeping the cab in the garage would be okay
    but the electronic part (the amp Head) should be in the house...

which poses this conundrum....

It's a combo...

11. boynamedsuse

Oct 13, 2010
    Not a problem.

As a check, if you are not already using it, you might want to add a pack of indicating Silica gel to your setup as a way of confirming that the humidity is being lowered. Typically indicating dessicant is blue when "dry" and turns pink when saturated.

12. Freez

Freez

Nov 8, 2008
    Detroitish
    "That's not gargage. Gargage is my friend from old country..."

13. "That's not gargage. Gargage is my friend from old country..."

now that was funny...

okay you got me

I was talking to a family member
    chasing my daughter around
    and talk on the phone thru the computer
    trying to type and that darned G just got away from me

*pumping fist* "I WILL GET YOU G...IF ITS THE LAST THING I DO..."

14. Get good road cases, my bass rig lived in the back of our van for years - if it wasn’t in a club it was in our van. One thing I’d like to point out - electronic don’t like to be stored for long periods of time without turning it on and using it periodically - much like a stored car needs running periodically or things die (and rust and corrosion never sleeps).

15. TIP. If using silica gel packs don’t forget to stick them in the oven (on very low) periodically to re-new them.

16. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    How hot does it get in the garage? Is it hot enough to melt solder?

I'm guessing that the amp gets hotter when it's on and in use than when it's sitting in a garage. Electricity is hot due to resistance from wiring, etc. Rest your hand on the cover of your electrical panel and see how it feels. Pretty warm, huh?

It should be fine in the garage.