1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

KLIRA REBORN!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Feral Feline, Aug 10, 2018.

1. I've always liked the Klira, better than a Höfner, with its Cateye sound holes, elegantly curved control plate — classy.

IMO, the Höfner's klunky and incongruous rectangular control panel destroys the lines of the bass — Höfner, you should never have given up the beautiful orb-like control centre from the earliest of your voilin-shaped efforts...

I digress. ANYwayyy...

Eastwood is coming out with a Klira klone, so if you've ever coveted a Klira but were unable to capture one in the wilds, then clearly Eastwood's klone could be a keeper.

A $150 deposit, on $599 total (includes gigbag), will secure your Klira kopykat:
    Klira Beatle Bass – Eastwood Custom Guitars

klira-drawing.

Maybe Klira-owners will get one as a backup, to be used at dodgy-or-outdoor gigs.
    I would, just need to find a '66 Klira to back up... oh, and money.

2. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I think @godofthunder59 has a small army of these, so he might be an early adopter?

I agree that the lines of the Klira are cleaner than those of the Hofner.

3. Yeah, I've seen him in the Klira threads, good collection of Klira he has. drool

Axstar likes this.
  4. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    I love Eastwood's custom shop model. This is where offshore production shines; you see if there is interest in bringing back an unobtanium design then, once the backing is there, you build a limited number of that design.

Old Blastard likes this.
  5. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    FB_IMG_1532384657859.
    Did I hear my name? My first bass was a Klira 356, got it way back in 1971! I own 4 complete, two projects awaiting parts and a NOS body never routed for the neck or cutout for the control plate. I like my Kliras better than my '65 Hofner. The pickups (chrome
    / foil) are stronger than Hofner staples and the neck feels a lot like a early 60s EB0. I will be curious to see what Eastwood produces, honestly most of what I have seen I haven't been impressed with. $600 for a Klira knock off ? I just don't know about that. The most I ever paid for one was $495 that was over five years ago though. I see them on Reverb asking prices 1,000-1,300 but I don't think they are selling for that. Even at the $1,000 asking price I say buy the real deal, every bit the Hofners equal. Here's a pic of my first Klira with it's recently installed original neck pickup, unfortunately as a Lad I improved it with Gibson SB 400 pickups.

rllefebv, design, mikewalker and 5 others like this.
  6. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    A few of my Kliras. Lots of subtle variations in the line, basically there is the 162 with a more Hofner like neck joint and sometimes Hofner like headstock. Also most 162s had the white single coil apposed to the later chrome/foil pickups. Here is another of my a 356s 20180810_074929.

rllefebv, design and mikewalker like this.
  7. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    My 162, note the hint of red in the burst, a bit unusual for Klira. 20180810_075118.

rllefebv, design and mikewalker like this.
  8. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    This 356 with no F holes is one of my favorites. 20180810_075238.

rllefebv, mikewalker and Axstar like this.
  9. AddicLee

AddicLee

Apr 27, 2018
    +1
    [​IMG]

10. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    356 project on the bench. Bought the carcass off Ebay a few years ago and finally some parts showed up. I paid almost as much for the control plate, knobs, and bridge and tailpiece as I have for a entire complete bass! 20180730_144833.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    rllefebv and mikewalker like this.
  11. +1

12. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    +2.
    I especially hate that it's pearloid, though. It ruins the Old World aura that the shape [of the instrument] gives, and the pearloid + the shape [of the plate] anchor it firmly in '50's lo-bro formica aesthetics. JMO.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    MattZilla and Axstar like this.
  13. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Never heard of Klira before, but I must agree, they are an aesthetic upgrade to the Hofner.

MattZilla, GregC and ELG60 like this.
  14. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    i love the looks of klira, i have to admit, you can get a vintage one for 600-800 why buy an eastwood? their stuff is junk far east components and not great finishing. sharp frets, etc.

15. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

mikewalker likes this.
  16. Nope never liked it and still dont.........Im kidding, not gonna be one of "those guys".:laugh:. Truth is I never liked that style of bass but once I visited the Eastwood page I was kind of surprised at how nice that bass looks. Its actually pretty sweet looking and the detailing is great. Eastwood has been producing some nice looking instruments.

17. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Here’s a real Hoffie with NO contol panel. (And the best looking one i’ve seen).
    upload_2018-8-10_13-43-26.

retslock, design, MattZilla and 2 others like this.
  18. Tvrtko

Tvrtko

Dec 27, 2002
    South of the USA
    That thing was never my choice. Back in a day, when someone could not buy anything else, they would buy "violin" bass (regardless of brand).
    Give it to me as a gift, I would sell it without even trying to play.
    It's just plain ugly form of any instrument.

19. Copperhead

Copperhead I've been here before. Supporting Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Tennessee
    This is sweet. There are few things as satisfying as finding a old bass carcass with good bones and bringing it back to life.

20. Zant

Zant

Jan 1, 2017
    Don't forget the vox v250