1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

knob question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by John Rogers, May 8, 2010.

1. John Rogers

John Rogers

Jul 20, 2009
    I have a p-bass that I'm going to upgrade and I was wondering if I could put active emg's in it and keep the two knobs but make them stacked?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sure, certainly--but good luck finding stacked pots of the correct values, if they aren't provided with the active components. :)

If EMG doesn't have a set pre-configured the way you want, then I'd forget the active EMG's and just install a preamp from a brand that does offer a two-stacked-pot configuration.

3. John Rogers

John Rogers

Jul 20, 2009
    ok thanks........problem is I have no idea what to do haha

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Well, go to a web store like bestbassgear ( http://www.bestbassgear.com/emg-preamps.htm ) and look at all the preamps they have. Every one of them says/shows how many knobs it has, and whether they are stacked.

5. John Rogers

John Rogers

Jul 20, 2009
    ok thanks, so like a Bartolini NTBT - 2 Band Preamp should work for a standard two knob p-bass?

6. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Sure. Just don't make any assumptions about the number and type of knobs that will come with it--be sure to order exactly what you need.

7. John Rogers

John Rogers

Jul 20, 2009
    ok, so the knobs come with the pre amp itself? and will a regular p-bass rout be big enough for this? like will the pre amp fit?

8. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    You can't assume or generalize. If it says it comes with knobs, it does. Some preamps are very small and will fit; others may require you to do a small amount of carving to fit. Remember you need a 9V battery in there too, so you'll either have to rout for a battery box or rear cavity lid, or expect to unscrew and remove the entire P pickguard every time you need to change batteries.

9. John Rogers

John Rogers

Jul 20, 2009
    ok well thanks man. this would be my first experience with any of this