Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Koko Taylor's bassist?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by ToneMonkey, Sep 30, 2003.

1. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    I think it might be Jerry Murphy. Anyone ever heard of this guy?

I love his playing. Great articulation (every note has this incredible space around it) and groove.

2. I dig Koko Taylor and her CD - Royal Blue. The bassist on this album is Kenny Hampton.

[​IMG]

Jerry Murphy also played for Eddie King on Live from Chicage with Koko Taylor.

Great blues man!

;) Treena

3. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    My new band has me learning Koko's versions of "Hey Baby," "Come To Mama" and "Evil." All appear to be the same bassist and all seem to be fairly modern recordings from the same era. Jerry Murphy is the name that came up on All Music Guide for the two of the tunes on recent recordings. I think Jerry took over from Kenny Hampton in the early '90s.

Killer player. The whole package... tone, phrasing, groove. His articulation is just incredible... If I could emulate one blues bassist, it would be him. He's relatively unknown. I was hoping maybe someone here had met or spoken with him. I'd love to know more about him.

4. Here's a photo of Koko and bassist....Jerry Murphy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you enjoy them!

;) Treena